swimbaits and the spawn

fishaholic211

I'm not gonna say I've never done it. I have. It is exciting seeing a big fish on a bed but you gotta realize, they don't just up and disappear when they are done spawning. They will still be in the lake after they get done knockin' boots.

Also realize that for every one big fish you actually see, there are AT LEAST a couple more a little deeper that you have no idea are there. A lot of times, those fish will be the active ones and will eat a bait without having to be endlessly tormented.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bed fishing with swim baits (whopper meal)........ This what i take on.... Its like walking in on a fat chick trying to bone a skinny dude and showing up with a whopper meal..... Of course she is going to want to eat.

All that making baby actions makes her hungry! Haha

Bed fishing with swim baits (whopper meal)........ This what i take on.... Its like walking in on a fat chick trying to bone a skinny dude and showing up with a whopper meal..... Of course she is going to want to eat.

Thanks for that mental image :?

WTF!?! :lol::lol::lol:

Well, Swimbaiting and bed fishing are two different things. Underground is here to promote Swimbait fishing. With more attention towards bass caught on swimbaits. There are plenty of wonderful sites that love bed fishing, so if your wanting to express this style of fishing it'll be easy to find a site that welcomes it! 8-) The rest of us would rather learn more about actual swimbait fishing.....

Hater :lol::lol:

"Many anglers have also discovered the Mission Fish to be the ultimate sight fishing swimbait for trophy largemouth. Jed Dickerson and Mac Weakley proved this in a big way in 2003 by boating monster bass weighing 21lbs 11.2oz and 19lbs 8oz respectively!"

Ironic indeed. :lol: Still a great bait no matter how you fish it.

Well, Swimbaiting and bed fishing are two different things. Underground is here to promote Swimbait fishing. With more attention towards bass caught on swimbaits. There are plenty of wonderful sites that love bed fishing, so if your wanting to express this style of fishing it'll be easy to find a site that welcomes it! 8-) The rest of us would rather learn more about actual swimbait fishing.....

+1 100% agree on this post. A lot of the guys here are swimbait purist. I also think a lot of resentment comes from spawn fishermen claiming to be swimbait experts. It happens every single spring! I've seen a few guys catch DD fish on a bed with jigs, then picks up a swimbait to take pictures.

Now, if I see a fish on a bed that's over 10 lbs, I will fish for it. Will I post it to this forum? Absolutely not.

The rule of thumb I have used in the past is if you see a bed fish, back off of it until you are in 8-12 ft of water. Then look for timber or structure changes and big girls usually will be there. This is however my first swimbait year so I'll try that and report back.

If you do it, then at least be honest about it. I don't think anyone will burn you at the stake. The problem is there's a handful of baitmakers and guys associated with them that every March and April start blastin' the boards with DD's telling you to go buy their great baits. I bet there's some parts of the country where fishing the spawn is no big deal at all. I used to fish the spawn here in so cal in the early to mid 90's. I don't think guys from other parts of the country truly understand how much angling pressure there is here. Seeing fish with multiple hook tears and sores...its just too much for me personally.

Should be a rule...if you want to fish a spawning fish you need to back it up with the same number of prespawn fish you caught. I'm more interested in what guys can catch in January and February. I get a trigger finger when I see these idiots show up one month out of the year with their fishing vests and $500 sunglasses schooling me on how to catch bed fish......grocery store mentality...I'll take one of these and one of those...I don't want to put any work in....its instant gratification and I don't like that. Go to McDonalds and leave the fish alone.....hahahhahha.....I want these bed guys to suffer like I do going weeks at a time with nada....

Ok, so as far as good bed baits....ummmm....I got nothin. I find swimbaiting during the spawn to be pretty terrible all in all. Much better before.....Feb is the month here is so cal...prespawn is swimbait time. Of course about a month after it start to get real good and the fish actually do novel things like.....chase a bait down because they are hungry!

JK