Why do we fish?

Luke1046

People always ask me "Why do you fish?". I find myself answering that question multiple times. Some of my favorite moments as a kid were by the stream with my dad, brother and pap. Every year I would eagerly wait for the first day of trout. I always believed I would finally out fish the "Greats" being my family. I remember my dad would always pick out a Repala when we would shop. I had no idea how to use them. The internet wasn't around, but I continued to throw it at the lake when we went. One day I finally got a bite on a skitter prop. I was so shocked and I just stood there. That had me hooked. Many years later I purchased a semi v Jon boat. It was my get away and I threw nothing but a jitterbug. Landing my first bait was a magical experiance. Since then I have been hooked. I believe tricking an animal in its natural habitat keeps me coming back. I enjoy teaching people what I have learned in my 11 years of bass fishing as well. If I can give one tip it's fish the baits you have and thoroughly learn them. No magical bait exist,. To catch fish you must fish and it will start to click. Sorry for my rant but fishermen will understand.

Thanks for your time.

I was 13 and for Christmas my dad got me a hula popper and a jitterbug. I had no idea what they were. He said they were pickerel baits and we would go pickerel fishing the following summer. I had only caught trout and perch to this point. Come June we went out and cast at lily pads all night for pickerel and had a blast watching them torpedo toward the bait. Very end of the night we are almost back to the ramp and I see a fish coming in, then it disappears. Then all of a sudden....BOOM! A bass explodes like nothing I had seen before and snaps my line. I asked what was that??? Dad says it was a bass...junk fish. Then and there I decided I would spend the rest of my life chasing after that fish. And I have. The next year, I remember my best day on the water...I caught two bass in the same day! By the following year I was throwing a jig. The next year, I was good with a jig. At 18 I caught my pb of 7-6 and been chasing it ever since. And that's why I toss strictly swimbaits!

Honestly, I fish for the feeling that you get when you land a good bass, that feeling when you realize you tricked the bass all on your own is what drives me. I was entirely responsible for getting that bite, I cracked the, sometimes impossible, puzzle. 

I started out fishing with my dad when I was very young. ( around 3 and I am fortunate that my dad is a great fisherman )  For me, it is one of the things I've always liked doing, and my dad being the fisherman he is, I wanted to be as good at it as him. I can remember the first big fish I ever caught. I thought I was hung and handed my rod to my dad. He handed it right back and said start reeling. When I felt that fish pulling I honestly can remember it being the best feeling ever and when I finally saw it, the sense of astonishment I had was overwhelming. To me it was the biggest fish in the lake. ( it really wasn't, but we all know the feeling )  I still remember the place and the lure I caught that fish on and that's been about 24 years ago.  It's a memory I will never forget and my dad and I still laugh about it to this day.

What keeps me coming back day in and day out are several different things. The thought in the back of my mind that the next cast could produce "the one". That anticipation and the excitement of seeing a good fish on the end of your line is unlike anything else. Also, while we're all out fishing we get to see and experience things most other people will never get to witness like seeing eagles and osprey's catch fish, sunrises and sunsets, to time spent with friends and family. There's nothing else quiet like it.

Collecting fishing gear is awesome but my wife has other thoughts on that.  I sold most of my cranks and most of my rods to support the swimbait addiction now.  It is a slow process because I want to learn the baits but the fish I have caught made up for all of the days I have zeroed on.  When I go out on my buddies boat and he throw plastics and rips them, I often debate switching back.  Every cast though could be a PB for me.  

I'm a recovering methamphetamine addict with 3 yrs clean now. I found bass fishing while getting sober and it is honestly one of the biggest reasons I'm sober still today. So with my addictive nature, of course I'm addicted to bass fishing. No question about it. Collecting and fishing swimbaits is another drug I recently discovered....

I'm a recovering methamphetamine addict with 3 yrs clean now. I found bass fishing while getting sober and it is honestly one of the biggest reasons I'm sober still today. So with my addictive nature, of course I'm addicted to bass fishing. No question about it. Collecting and fishing swimbaits is another drug I recently discovered....

Good job dude, that's great!