Can I use a swim bait bigger than what is recommended for my rod?

randystclair

There are some rods incredibly exaggerated and some arnt.Depends on the brand.My dobyns 867 is my favorite production rod but there's no way in hell its throwing anything past 10 oz

When it comes to baits in that range I think you'll be fine. I had issues with a deps 250 on my 2-8 oz DX but the rod has little bend in it so it doesn't load well.  On my Dobyns Savvy 735 (7'3") Its rated for up to 1.5oz but somehow it throws my Gantarel (2.5 oz) and Negotiator and Deps 175 like a dream, overhand even. I think its not as much of an issue with lighter baits, test it out pitching the baits maybe a soft side arm.

I regularly throw baits with underrated rods. Braids and most copolymer lines will compensate. Also I am a big fan of slack line retrieves where the rods primary role is not to control bait but to hook fish and keep em pinned. But for the most control of bait sticking to rating is better.

Tie your lure onto that rod and go through the casting motion slowly. You'll feel the tip load and the backbone kick in. Then you'll be able to gauge if that rod does or doesn't have the beefy to chuck that lure. Often times it won't be able to but it's worth a shot. I actually have an older Daiwa Zillion swimbait stick and even though it's rated 1/2-2oz, it'll can chuck the lighter ROF 0 and 5 8" hudds quite well. I believe tackletour had the same results as well. Good luck!

Nicky

You most likely won't get the action from the rod or the bait..you'll probably realize quickly it's not comfortable and probably won't end up liking the bait because it will feel like it's not performing..can you hammer a screw into wood? Sure but it's not effective

I was throwing a 5 oz bait on a flipping stick rated to 1.5 oz for a while and definitely don't recommend it lol. Invest in a rod meant to throw the baits you want to throw. Specialized rods like these are by no means cheap, but you'll be amazed at the difference a proper rod can make. Plus you won't have to worry about snapping your current stick and having to go buy a new one anyways.

I think you'll be fine. I started out throwing 8" Hudds on a 7' Okuma Reflexions MH Rod for a solid 6 months.

Definitely wouldn't recommend it by any means, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't work. Caught atleast 5-6 fish on it until I upgraded to an actual swimbait stick.