***3:16 Knockoff scam alert***

Rubberdaddy

Am I the only one who remembers mickey stating he hasn't patented any of his baits? So I understand being mad, but what can Mickey realistically do to the ko maker? It really is about 80% his own fault.. 1) for failing to patent his hard work and 2) for not keeping up with the demand of his baits... I personally have fished most of his baits and love them.. At times I have spent well above double to triple retail for them... It sucks and to be honest I would possibly buy a ko of some of the more rare baits if they were similar in action for a fair price... Its not like mickey gives a ish about his customers since there is clearly a demand and he's failed to meet in any form... His business model includes hooking up friends with baits and then building hype so he can sell out of baits in 5 minutes or less, then collect the money and repeat the cycle 6 months later.... When you don't meet demand there are several ppl waiting in line to cash in on your shortcomings... Its capitalism and ppl will do questionable things for money its been this way for years... and not just in the fishing industry.... if anyone disagrees with him they are bullied and blacklisted and bashed by mickey or his buddies either physically or on every social media outlet.. Call out my integrity or ethics or what have you I personally give very few f**ks about peoples opinion on the internet... just my .02 cents

I'm not even sure one can patent something that is supposed to be a copy of something in nature. I don't know of any baits that are individually patented....maybe the concept like something truly original like a Chatterbait might be, I don't know. But certainly none of these baits....swimbaits are original baits, they may be unique as per the manufacturer but they are copies of something. Hey remember the rants about HPH and Bucca????? good times!!!!!...maybe the names are trade marked or copyright protected like Senko, chatterbait.......etc. I read an article in Tackle Retailer a few years back about people having to make copies 10% different than the original to avoid legal drama. I assume that is the truth.

I should of made a disclaimer for wives and girlfriends I suppose... One should qualify before being offended and certainly before calling one ignorant. They are in fact just swimbaits but ethics shouldn't be flexible or employed at ones convenience. Supporting knockoffs of high end hard work is low class and should be regarded as such with any bait period.

Not saying you are ignorant, I meant the comment. We all say ignorant ish sometimes. But to say that what I posted isn't what you meant is crazy. To say that you shouldn't be concerned if it's a KO because you can't tell the paint is original is bull. That puts the blame on the buyer. When I buy something from this site or anywhere I expect it to be real and authentic even if it has been repainted. It's just extremely unfair, douche bag-esque and in my opinion ignorant to say that because you can't tell the paint you shouldn't care if you are buying a KO for more than retail. It speaks volumes to moral and character, a couple things you are trying blame others of. Really didn't want to argue but that just struck a cord with me. No hard feelings man and like I said, don't mean you as a whole just that comment. He'll I probably sound ignorant saying you sounded ignorant. Cheers man, we are on the same side when it's all said and done and I agree with everything else you said, just not that one part.

I'm not even sure one can patent something that is supposed to be a copy of something in nature. I don't know of any baits that are individually patented....maybe the concept like something truly original like a Chatterbait might be, I don't know. But certainly none of these baits....swimbaits are original baits, they may be unique as per the manufacturer but they are copies of something. Hey remember the rants about HPH and Bucca????? good times!!!!!...maybe the names are trade marked or copyright protected like Senko, chatterbait.......etc. I read an article in Tackle Retailer a few years back about people having to make copies 10% different than the original to avoid legal drama. I assume that is the truth.

Rago has patents. Ken has patents.

I remember all of these controversies.. and im sure mickey has 316 and its logos trademarked and copyrighted but actual patents on the baits I don't think he does... the 10% rule could be argued in paint and possibly a change in tail shape or eyes and its a never ending court battle.. If mickey and the randals and the other procrastinating bait makers in the world would just make baits more frequently the knock offs and counterfeits would almost disappear..

I remember all of these controversies.. and im sure mickey has 316 and its logos trademarked and copyrighted but actual patents on the baits I don't think he does... the 10% rule could be argued in paint and possibly a change in tail shape or eyes and its a never ending court battle.. If mickey and the randals and the other procrastinating bait makers in the world would just make baits more frequently the knock offs and counterfeits would almost disappear..

Which baits should mickey make more frequently?also in the Rago example, its his fault for not making enough baits? SPRO can just exactly copy his bait cuz if he didnt make enough? 

Not saying you are ignorant, I meant the comment. We all say ignorant ish sometimes. But to say that what I posted isn't what you meant is crazy. To say that you shouldn't be concerned if it's a KO because you can't tell the paint is original is bull. That puts the blame on the buyer. When I buy something from this site or anywhere I expect it to be real and authentic even if it has been repainted. It's just extremely unfair, douche bag-esque and in my opinion ignorant to say that because you can't tell the paint you shouldn't care if you are buying a KO for more than retail. It speaks volumes to moral and character, a couple things you are trying blame others of. Really didn't want to argue but that just struck a cord with me. No hard feelings man and like I said, don't mean you as a whole just that comment. He'll I probably sound ignorant saying you sounded ignorant. Cheers man, we are on the same side when it's all said and done and I agree with everything else you said, just not that one part.

George we are good brotha... And I can appreciate how that could initially come off that way... if we were in person or even in phone conversation we'd avoided the rub altogether. In hindsight I should have been more clear and elaborated. I in no way want anyone to get fakes nor think anyone deserves that... I guess that was more aimed at those who could care less if a baits original or not if that makes sense. I wouldn't buy anything high dollar without knowing about it, and as a purist or appreciator of original work I have made it a point to familiarize myself to be in the know. I'm not Mickey's buddy or fanboy nor am I part of some 3:16 cult or even that club, technically I'm an outsider. I just can't front on quality swimbaits and A-hole or not Dudes pushed the envelope and been bringing the heat for a minute. I don't want you or your wife or my girl or the guy across the street with fake ish period. I appreciate the candor in your response and consider us good and ironed out like adults. Cheers indeed:) 

Edited by BigBaitThirty

Which baits should mickey make more frequently?also in the Rago example, its his fault for not making enough baits? SPRO can just exactly copy his bait cuz if he didnt make enough? 

Im referring to his hard baits.. The most recent example is the freestyle series... people paying double retail for them if they can get their hands on one for sale.. The workhorse glide series are selling on ebay for an astronomical amount.. Knocking off baits isn't cool or moral, but when you cant make enough baits to go around its going to happen..

As for the rago example.. Jerry Rago has patents on his baits if they were knocking him off, which they were, he had legal right to sue them.. I don't think he did tho... he also could've upped his production and made more tools so people that wanted to remain loyal to him could have.. Im not a fan of spro personally and haven't owned a bbz trout ever... But if I were into rago tools back in their heyday and I couldn't get my hands on one after frivolously searching for a year a Spro bbz trout would certainly look more appealing to me.. My end game in fishing is to have large fish tug at the other end of my fishing line.. not make a brand loyalty display on a fishing forum.. Because at the end of the day, I have to make my boat payments, buy my fishing lures etc.. not sponcered nor do I wanna be.. I also know of a few holy rollers on this discussion specifically acting like fishing baits that were knocked off is deplorable ,but have in the past and continue to fish baits (baitsmith k/os) that were molded and poured by a buddy..

As for meeting a demand I just have to say this... First of all Mickey or Rago or anyone else doesn't owe anybudy ish unless they pay for it. As far as I know Mickey has fulfilled every pre order/release in a timely manner, he's a G at that. I'm not sure where this bait entitlement comes from but I can't relate... I don't feel that way about out of season tomatoes or anything else for that matter...

As for business model having a following and demand because your product is great isn't hype by definition... In fact being so trusted and sought after you can sell out of a "Mystery Bait" or any bait before or after isn't unfounded hysteria it's concrete. They may not be everyones style and that's 100% fine... but hands down they are hard to beat pound for pound for what they are.

Snapping a few pics to share with folks who love baits the way he does and utilizing IG and FB doesn't qualify or give hype theory merit. These aren't Pats. "Oh no he didn't..." Being pumped on a current paint job or new bait or proto in the works doesn't make you a bad guy... also selling baits online as you see fit in accordance to your personal life is 100% legit how can that be perceived otherwise, that's lost on me... Even selling things out your garage or to buddies guides or just loyal fans before a release is his prerogative is it not?

None of the aforementioned makes it ok to copy and take peoples hard earned money, for it.

At the end of the day this won't hurt Me or Mickey or most familiar with the baits. It's just crappy and low brow & hopefully short lived.  

George we are good brotha... And I can appreciate how that could initially come off that way... if we were in person or even in phone conversation we'd avoided the rub altogether. In hindsight I should have been more clear and elaborated. I in no way want anyone to get fakes nor think anyone deserves that... I guess that was more aimed at those who could care less if a baits original or not if that makes sense. I wouldn't buy anything high dollar without knowing about it, and as a purist or appreciator of original work I have made it a point to familiarize myself to be in the know. I'm not Mickey's buddy or fanboy nor am I part of some 3:16 cult or even that club, technically I'm an outsider. I just can't front on quality swimbaits and A-hole or not Dudes pushed the envelope and been bringing the heat for a minute. I don't want you or your wife or my girl or the guy across the street with fake ish period. I appreciate the candor in your response and consider us good and ironed out like adults. Cheers indeed:)

Right on man and like you said if we had the discussion in person it would have probably come across differently. Reading text leaves a lot up to the person reading to interpret what was meant.

#MSGA (Make Swimbaits Great Again by not buying knockoffs)

As for meeting a demand I just have to say this... First of all Mickey or Rago or anyone else doesn't owe anybudy ish unless they pay for it. As far as I know Mickey has fulfilled every pre order/release in a timely manner, he's a G at that. I'm not sure where this bait entitlement comes from but I can't relate... I don't feel that way about out of season tomatoes or anything else for that matter...

As for business model having a following and demand because your product is great isn't hype by definition... In fact being so trusted and sought after you can sell out of a "Mystery Bait" or any bait before or after isn't unfounded hysteria it's concrete. They may not be everyones style and that's 100% fine... but hands down they are hard to beat pound for pound for what they are.

Snapping a few pics to share with folks who love baits the way he does and utilizing IG and FB doesn't qualify or give hype theory merit. These aren't Pats. "Oh no he didn't..." Being pumped on a current paint job or new bait or proto in the works doesn't make you a bad guy... also selling baits online as you see fit in accordance to your personal life is 100% legit how can that be perceived otherwise, that's lost on me... Even selling things out your garage or to buddies guides or just loyal fans before a release is his prerogative is it not?

None of the aforementioned makes it ok to copy and take peoples hard earned money, for it.

At the end of the day this won't hurt Me or Mickey or most familiar with the baits. It's just crappy and low brow & hopefully short lived.  

100% youre entitled to your opinion..  In no way shape or form have I felt entitled to a bait.. I certainly would like to own a few more 316 hard baits.. I have 8-9 that I will never part with hopefully.. They are proven fish catchers. Doesn't mean I agree with his business model.. I don t have to.. Just like he doesn't have to sell more baits or whatever to fill demand.. To me it just leaves a void.. One that could easily be filled by anyone with a gallon of alumilte and a lil time to watch youtube diy videos.. would I rather see Mickey profit? yes.. I am in no way a hater.. I would rather buy my baits from him instead of paying the inflated market price.. Just stating my opinion that I think if mickey made more baits he wouldn't have so many of these k/o issues..

People f*ck up

Sh*t happens

I'll still deal with Tom

I'll buy 3:16 baits and fish them

I dgaf about stupid drama. It does not personally affect me what either of them or any of you think or feel. I enjoy fishing and the hunt for the big one. You can all sit there behind your computers or phones and keep bickering about something that does not cause any harm to any of you.

Or do what we are here to do and enjoy the art of swimbait fishing.

Tight lines everyone!! Stay safe out on the water!