History of the Gigantoid

Rod Thigpin

Best of luck to you Rod. Had the same thing happen to me. Trusted someone just because I didn't want to make baits all the time and just wanted to be a guide and teach people how to catch big fish. Got stabbed in the back in the process. I have known Matt for a while and had long conversations with him on the phone about this stuff when it happened to me. I was disapointed on how he runs his business and advice he gave me on how I should run mine. Gave me a much better insight to his character and the people he associates with. I will have some Mattlures going up for sale cheap here soon for anybody who wants them. Rod I will send up prayers for you.

I figgured one stent in prison would teach a person the value of using their words, not their fists... Guess not. :roll:

What a dumb ass! Talk to me when you can walk the walk clown..

I thought the walk was catching fish, not getting into street brawls. You make extremely high quality baits, Im yet to understand why threatening physical violence is part of your business model

The bait makers and fisherman that have been around for awhile that know the ins and outs of the swimbait world owe it to the market and us newbies to be aggresive to keep everybody honest and make sure we get what we pay for. If everybody was free to knockoff baits,throw up bed fish pics and make cheap junk without ever being called out guys like me would be duped by bad info and personally I don't want to be lied to especially when it comes to something I care about. I care a lot about fishing and the tools I take with me to do battle with the fish.

I've tried to stay out of this and I probably should have. Mickey mentioned people that don't know the history of the baits should stay out of it and I certainly fall into that category.

Dick Thompson my buddy,

That day you stuck that 13.9 on my deadstick bait, is a day i'll never forget. The first fish you had come up and follow it, you laughed!!! I told you to stop laughing your going to get bit. After a little bit of teasing the fish, she blew up on it. We laughed our asses off. Because you had never seen anything like it! Then after that, you were at full attention on every spot after that. When that 13.9 mauled it, it was game on. I'll never forget the look on your face, when she got her head out of the water! After the awesome battle, there was nothing but high fives! Then we realized my live well pump went out, we had to fill my livewell with our cups from the resturant after lunch. It was a lot of work! But we got it done. Gave her time to chill and take pictures and weigh. Then released that big spawned out girl, to let someone else have a chance to catch her. Those are memories that I will have the rest of my life!!!!!!! Getting to share that with you meant a lot to me!!!! Because you have been an amazing friend to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have shared many other fish on that bait and my other baits that were all special times. But that is the day I will never forget!!!!!!!!

Ha! That was the stupidest bait Id ever seen! Here im going fishing for the first time with this bad ass swimbaiter and he pulls out this chewed up piece of crap! Man that changed my life.

I have a couple days I stick with me. That day of course. Then my first big fish outta the lagoon while Butch was fishing ice jigs. Then of course the day we shattered allen cole on the river.

We were at willow beach fishin for stripers. We had figured out the bite pretty good and had already caught 2 fish. Well you and chris had caught fish. So I was in the front while you guys kicked back to let me catch a fish. Chris was drinking beers and I was a little also. He said he was done fishing and was gonna get drunk. Well I was workin down a stretch of submerged trees when I stuck a 15 pounder. Chris jumped up fired in and stuck a 12. So as soon as that fish went in the boat I looked across the river and there was a guy watching us with binoculars. You looked and said oh thats allen and waved to him. So after a while it was time to get back up river to hit the sweet spot one more time. On the way to the spot allen raced us through the 5 mph zone by blowing right through it. You said dont worry he has no trolling motor. So we started fishing up stream towards him while he had to drift down stream. As we closed in on each other you said to us, "please please stick a fish" I swear on my grave one second later chris stuck a 27 pounder right in front of them! Holy crap I almost passed out laughing.

So about and hour and a half later the same scenerio plays out where allen raced us there again and sure enough I stuck that 33 pounder that went in the net with them 5 ft from us. They wouldnt even talk to us. Chris and I were both pretty tacoed by then from

Celebrating his 27. I just remember laughing my ass off and drinking about 15 beers while you had to run the boat and clean our fish!

I know you have a tremendous amout of respect for AC. Like you have Always told me. He was the one who inspired you to make your baits. Just that day for whatever reason he wanted to screw with us and it could not have happened any cooler.

So thats what maks this sport so cool. We just dealt with a bunch of crap and now its all

About gettin out and stickin some big fish again. SuB tourney is comin soon? Maybe we can make it happen

Thanks brother! You have given me so much and I truely appreciate what you and ur brother have done for me!

I just want to be clear there was absolutely no bad blood that day with allen. It was the coolest thing I have seen to be there with 2 of the best swimbaiters jockeying for a good spot. We just got lucky to get there first and catch those fish. I he would've caught them we would've laughed too.

I want you all to know that without allen, we aren't here talking swimbaits today...period end of story. He blew this whole thing up with the fish he was catching on his baits.

Allen Cole really deserves alot of the credit for what has happened over the last 20 years.

I know that day allen had an 18, 15 and a couple other big fish. We watched as he took pictures of them.

Thanks to you all for listening to what Rod has to say. I hope you all learned a little about this sport, good or bad. Its days like that one on the river where we all win that makes it soooo cool.

In reality it is just fishing. A stupid green fish that drives us nuts. Mostly for the guys learning, I hope you learn what you truely need to know, mostly how to locate and understand what the fish are doing. My learning curve was stupid and simple because the best in the business showed me. I know alot of you don't have that luxury.

Please spend all the time you can on the water and learn everytime you fish. But mostly find your own bites. Figure out what works for you and don't fall in love with the idea that there is some magic bullet bait that you need.

The best guys in the business only have a few baits but have mastered them. Please do the same.

It's prime time guys! middle of march, get out there and stick a Bomb!

Brian

Good stuff guys. I hope you guys become a regular part of the landscape here and perhaps change the notion that veteran big fish catchers might be willing to share some real fish catching info. Allan Cole is definitely one of those characters that people tend to love or hate. He's very aggressive and very competitive when it comes to fishing. I was so glad to hear you guys to acknowledge him. I've had a few days I was fortunate enough to outfish him on the same water but he's always going to be the true OG of this whole game and has more big stripers than anyone on swimbaits. Not only did he innovate with his lures he went out and caught lake records and state records on them...thats layin' it down.

Wish you guys future successes and hope to see the stockers back in production. Of course I'm probably just contributing to a bandwagon mentality :roll:

JK

Or I quit selling baits to Tackle warehouse because they brought knock off Hudds in???

I've always wanted to ask you why TW wasn't carrying your stuff anymore. Good on you Mickey.

Or I quit selling baits to Tackle warehouse because they brought knock off Hudds in???

I've always wanted to ask you why TW wasn't carrying your stuff anymore. Good on you Mickey.

A few years ago I emailed TW asking why they didn't carry 3:16 baits and they sent a response saying there was "a problem with the distribution with the company". Thanks for filling us in on what really happened.

Yeah I fished the Baitsmith Hitch a lot because even though he ripped off the hudd tail, it was a great bait that Hudd didn't offer. I still think it is a better bait than the 6" or 6-8 hudd but I can't bring myself to support them anymore. Gotta support the original whenever possible.

And just to set the record straight, this copy cat crap isn't just found in swimbaiting.

KVD has his name on more blatant rip offs than anyone in the business.

Wow I was trying to be possitive with that post and never had any intention of anything else. I am just a little fish that knows nothing about lure making or the business behind it. If my post offended any of you I oppologise

Guys that don't know your swimbait history or are new to the game should sit on the side lines and stay out of this!!!This isn't a liberal candy ass conversation about gray areas!

Enough said

My thoughts exactly...