PSA: TO ALL NEWBIES AND YOUNG SWIMBAITERS.....:

Darth Baiter

Thanks for the post! It's actually a great honor being a part of a forum like this!! I've been on other forums that are great but not as great as this! I spend a few hours going through threads that have helped me in the past, but I feel I need to contribute more by posting often with questions I have about swimbaits. I mean I would but this is why I don't have as much posts... Because I read the threads, search the forums, and I'm sure I'll be able to find the answers!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

i'll post this again:

"for all the nubbies,

LEARN CONVENTIONAL TECHNIQUES FIRST!!! worms, jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, ripbaits, topwaters, etc.

it'll help in so many ways - approach, casting, presentation, etc. you dont need to master it, just learn it. it'll make the conversion over to swimbait fishing easier and it'll help one avoid a lot of the "how do i fish the _____" questions."

ALSO, swimbaits get bit when there is wind, when its dead calm, during rain, when its dry, sunny, dark, yada, yada, yada...

swimbait fishing in the end is still just fishing - so learn how to fish first!

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting it Darth Baiter. I have been on here for a few months and made the same mistakes that so many others have......For a while I thought that USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION was my name. I read it enough........ I'm learning. Thanks to all of the great guys on here for being patient with me and the rest of the noobs. I can only speak for myself when I say that I am fired up about getting started on my swim bait career. I started last fall and caught my only swimbait fish so far on an S-waver on my 5th cast. A nice 5 pounder, But nothing since. That one fish gave me the confidence to keep chunking.

I came to this site because I heard that the guys with the best info on swimbaiting were on here and that they would help a new guy out. So far everything that I had heard was true. Great guys, very great info and always willing to help out.

Thanks to all for your help and I look forward to posting many pics this season of giants on swimbaits.

I apologize if this has already been addressed and I happened to miss it.

If you have a problem with a bait, contact the maker or retailer before you post your issue here (or anywhere else for that matter). Treat the makers and retailers as you would want to be treated. The vast majority of them want to make sure you have a good bait and it is only sporting to give them a chance to resolve any problems before airing them out online.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a  NOOB and Not afraid to admit that fact and some may hold that against me. But, I'm here to learn and gain more knowledge of this type of fishing technique. Joining this forum has been an enjoyable experience so far. Thanks for the advice Darthbaiter and inspiration to keep SU the best Forum around. I hope my participation level across the forum is someday respected and noticed by others like yourself. "yes I came here for the buffet" The all you can read about anything swimbaits buffet. Love It!

the guys that have been around for some time do not have issues with the noobs - we all started somewhere. i myself am still learning. we all have asked questions. but i do think there are indeed "stupid questions" - questions that could of been answered just by scrolling down, back a page, or by utilizing the search function.

biggest thing that irks me is the guys who start out fishing by taking up swimbait fishing just cause of social media. they don't know the first thing about fishing but want to take on this challenging (and at times discouraging) technique. learn the basics of [bass] fishing first - knots, tackle, presentations, fish behavior, etc. it'll go a long way in helping one understand swimbait fishing - and avoid asking the "stupid questions".

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...