Help me out with bait selections!

Fat-G

In February and early March, I was grooving. Six fish over 7 pounds, with a PB DD on top. I was awesome, by far the best prespawn I have ever had. It was all with the Hudd, which has rightfully earned the title of my favorite bait of all time. I love the way they bite it, the hookset, and the best part is that every time I set the hook with that bait, it feels like a headshaking stump is on the other end.

I think it's time for a couple new baits, though. I went out today with the intention of catching some bull gills and big crappie, and saw three BIG bass hanging around the shore, mingling with the gills and smaller bass. I learned a lot just from watching how the big fish were behaving, but it was one of those days where they just have lockjaw. There are defined beds starting to show up, the kind that are for real, not the "practice" type beds we see when the males first move up. They're not on them yet, but soon will be. Today was kind of my realization that my pre=spawn bite is actually coming to a close; something I knew would eventually happen but was sad when I realized that time was now. I guess what I'm really looking for are a couple of post-spawn summertime baits. Josh (jwafan) has been kind enough to let me throw a couple of his hard baits. I liked the action of the 10" Triple Trout, FS Floating Bluegill, and Wake Jr., but I'm on a limited budget and am trying to keep it to 3-4 baits.

So I was thinking this:

10" Triple Trout

Wake Jr.

Slammer

And a "fun" numbers bait, like maybe a FS Gill or an 8" TT

Thoughts?

I think i got it man. slammer for sure. Id get a couple sizes. 7" and a bigger one. I can make u a deal on a 10" TT i posted in the Black market section. PM me if u interested. those slammers are the deal tho.

Well I'd say you started out the right way for sure by sticking with a single kind of bait, and learning how to fish it catching fish and flexing it's versatility as the conditions and bass activity change. We could all learn a lot by putting more time in with the baits we have rather than always looking to get new ones, but that's part of the fun too! :lol:

There's no reason that the bait you've just learned to fish so well won't work post spawn too. That said I'd get something top water to shake up your techniques. A wake jr would be great for that application. It's harder to come by then some of the others you've suggested. A slammer is one of my go to wake baits too, and I've caught many very big fish with it and you can get one easily. It is an awesome night fishing bait. A fun numbers and even big fish hard bait would be the fs shad, in either ss or floater. Much easier to get a hold of compared to a fs gill and has the same overall action. Good luck. 8-)

You said you saw Big bass playing with the gills and crappie so with that, Id recommend a mattlures. If you like fishing the bottom slow then the mission fish is another great bait. If you can find one, Im sure the FS gill would be great. For "fun size baits" Id say the cl8 bluegill. I had one and its pretty cool.

If youre looking for big baits though Id definitely go with the BA or an 8" FS TRout

In February and early March, I was grooving. Six fish over 7 pounds, with a PB DD on top. I was awesome, by far the best prespawn I have ever had. It was all with the Hudd, which has rightfully earned the title of my favorite bait of all time. I love the way they bite it, the hookset, and the best part is that every time I set the hook with that bait, it feels like a headshaking stump is on the other end.

I think it's time for a couple new baits, though. I went out today with the intention of catching some bull gills and big crappie, and saw three BIG bass hanging around the shore, mingling with the gills and smaller bass. I learned a lot just from watching how the big fish were behaving, but it was one of those days where they just have lockjaw. There are defined beds starting to show up, the kind that are for real, not the "practice" type beds we see when the males first move up. They're not on them yet, but soon will be. Today was kind of my realization that my pre=spawn bite is actually coming to a close; something I knew would eventually happen but was sad when I realized that time was now. I guess what I'm really looking for are a couple of post-spawn summertime baits. Josh (jwafan) has been kind enough to let me throw a couple of his hard baits. I liked the action of the 10" Triple Trout, FS Floating Bluegill, and Wake Jr., but I'm on a limited budget and am trying to keep it to 3-4 baits.

So I was thinking this:

10" Triple Trout

Wake Jr.

Slammer

Thoughts?

Yep, we share the exact same mindset. I see the guys showing up to the spots all excited that the fish are up on beds and I couldn't be more bummed.....thats why I made the most of February as did you. Its over now-time to regroup. I know some guys will correct me on how great the swimbait bite will be during the spawn but that hasn't been my experience. Yeah, they don't all spawn at the same time but them bigger females are focused on one thing....spawning. I'll fish it like I always do but I'm really looking forward to the post spawn bite that usually kicks in a few weeks or so after they are done spawning. (Mayish) Those fish will be looking to recover and the aggression level goes way up.

You got some good baits on that list for sure. I think your absolutely smart to keep it simple. My list would look very similar:

Slammer (7" or 9")

Wake Jr.

Rising Son (6.5")

Triple Trout (10")

Any of these baits can be lethal post spawn but the most productive bait for me has been the 7" Slammer. Its nothing special to look at but it sure gets hammered. I have my own variations but for a widely available bait its legit. Wake Jr. great with the more realistic profile and totally different sounds. I've never done much burning with the triple trout but can't argue that guys kill em' with it. The range of baits the fish will hit in the warm water goes way up I believe...wait didn't I say keep it simple...hahahhahhaha.......one wake bait and rising son would be my simple approach. My test bait for this year, so to speak, will be a Hudd 68 modded to an ROF1 that wakes on a med/slow retrieve. I have a funny feeling about that one..... :mrgreen:

Get every bait on your list if you possibly can....and just work on understanding the retrieves with each one while your waiting for the fish to go post spawn...hell you might catch one in the meantime....

JK

Nice choice of baits. I would say an 8inch TT or High Power Herring would be a really nice addition as well.

As an aside I have a 6 inch TT and a HPH, they are roughly the same length but the HPH is a bigger bait, stouter/taller/etc... The 6inch TT seems like a snack, the HPH is more of a meal.

So I was thinking this:

10" Triple Trout

Wake Jr.

Slammer

Thoughts?

My thoughts are you just caught the best bass you ever have. Better then many have. So you should just keep on trying things with an open mind. All those baits and more have done well so go for it.

:D

• 4 years later...