Braid to mono leader

Jdutton7441

I am more comfortable with a rod length leader with small jerkbaits. When I do use a braid to fluoro leader, I am loaded for bear with at least 65 lb braid and 40lb leader spool fluoro. A couple of feet tops. Leader spools generally have lower diameters than bulk spools of same test. The only braid to fluoro sb rig I use is for cranking spammer rigs tho. I don't like hearing knot hit the guides.

I use a reverse Albright on my 806 and 807 with 50lb and 65lb Braid respectively . I use 20-25lb flouro leaders . And my leader length is usually 2ft or less . Mat Allen uses a similar length and I haven’t noticed a difference in bites from length in leader . My next swimbait reel however will be a dedicated copolymer line reel

So on a Dobyns 806 I should be good with about a 7' leader? Will be using an FG knot.

Yeah, I would say use that length as a starting point and adjust from there as you see fit. Eventually, you'll find a length that works best for you. Your leader length may even vary depending on the bait you're throwing, the line you're using, etc.

As far as connection knots go, everyone will swear by one or the other, and no one is wrong. I feel like it just depends on you and your dexterity. I've tried several and for me, the blood knot works, but I wouldn't argue with anyone that swore by the FG or Alberto or whatever.  

I don't know if throwing braid is new to you or if it's just throwing big baits on braid that's new, but be careful. IMHO braid has its advantages, but it's definitely not forgiving and it's highly likely you'll lose baits. Be sure to use an appropriate lb test for the baits you're throwing and get it spooled tight on the reel. Take it slow, focus and don't get sloppy with your casting fundamentals. Also, don't overdo it and go for that long cast until you're used to it and get everything dialed in. 

I've been throwing it since I was a kid, so when I started throwing big swimbaits I just naturally wanted to throw them on braid. It did take some adjustments though. There were lost baits, and there still are, but I can't remember one that can't be blamed on user error. I even tried non-braid for a bit, but I simply don't like it as much. 

I'm not saying I'm right on any of this. I've just experimented with this a good bit and continue to do so. So it's just my 2 cents. Lots of smart guys on here have ten times the experience I ever will, including the ones who chimed in above. Use the search bar, read everything you can and then go out and see what works best for you. Good luck. 

I use the FG knot and make the leader as long as possible to act as a shock absorber. I tie it then real it down to the level wind and run it the length of the pole plus about a foot. It hasn't failed me yet on back lashes or hangups. Just my personal preference, but use what you think is best/works for you