Huddleston vs Baitsmith, which is better?

Ruef_Top

Hey guys, 

After being in the swimbait world for a few years now I have had the opportunity to throw my fair share of Huddlestons and catch plenty of trophy fish. Now that I've had the opportunity to explore more baits I've found that the Baitsmith has basically the same design as the Hudd. However, the Baitsmith costs a lot more than the Hudd so I'm wondering if they have any specific differences that make one better than the other, and if so what do you guys prefer to throw? 

Tight lines everyone! Ryan

In my experience, my baitsmiths have gotten bites 80% more than my hudds. Although their are a ton of factors at play as to when i use each, which is why i say in my opinion. Baitsmiths also look way more realistic which in my opinion would get bit more in clear water.

following!

I have noticed my baitsmith to have a more subtle tail wag than a huddleston. I have no caught on either yet, but have more bites on a baitsmith.

When do you all decide to throw a baitsmith over a hudd or vice versa?

following!

I have noticed my baitsmith to have a more subtle tail wag than a huddleston. I have no caught on either yet, but have more bites on a baitsmith.

When do you all decide to throw a baitsmith over a hudd or vice versa?

I throw my Huddlestons off of long points and just bottom bounce it all the way back, the second way I fish them is by Spider-Manning the bait next to a steep drop off. I get it as close to the wall without touching and just a medium slow retrieve back to to boat.

Great topic. The last 2 years for me have seen 22 fish on my Baitsmith as opposed to 3 on my Huddleston. And the Huddleston fish were bedfish. In my opinion, the fish have seen about 400X more Hudds than Baitsmith. Everyone talks about presenting the bait differently than all the other guys. Go to any lake and watch what big swimbait guys are throwing..99% of the time its a Hudd. The reasons why my Baitsmith is getting bit more: 

1) More realistic 

2) Bigger profile

3) Not as many being thrown

I know some guys are sticking fish on Hudds and that's awesome. But for me I will be sticking with my Baitsmith, more expensive or not. 

Anytime I had a Baitsmith tied on, I was incredibly confident in at least getting bit throwing it, things just outperform 90% of other soft baits. With the Huddleston, I have a love hate relationship with it. Very often if I am out chucking I will run into another swimbaiter, if they are throwing a Hudd, I find the most opposite bait in my bag. My best days have been on a Hudd, but it is like the senko of the swimbait world, every bass has bit it at least once now. 

Mind you - this is without throwing the 10" Hudd.

when bottom bumping! run your baitsmith over a log or rock an watch what happens! then do the same with your hudd. if you can figure out how to get your hudd to respond the same as the baitsmith does when it bumps a log an craws over it. your hudd will be a better bait.

i definitely think the Baitsmith’s various trout colors is pretty cool, and my buddy does well on it.

The only knock on them over the Hudd imo is the price and availability, but other than that I think they beat a Hudd.

Also Huddlestons service has been lacking in recent years

Anytime I had a Baitsmith tied on, I was incredibly confident in at least getting bit throwing it, things just outperform 90% of other soft baits. With the Huddleston, I have a love hate relationship with it. Very often if I am out chucking I will run into another swimbaiter, if they are throwing a Hudd, I find the most opposite bait in my bag. My best days have been on a Hudd, but it is like the senko of the swimbait world, every bass has bit it at least once now. 

Mind you - this is without throwing the 10" Hudd.

Are you really finding that many guys throwing Hudds in  Michigan ? That would be a surprise to me . I'm aware more guys are chucking big baits , that said I would imagine those numbers are still fairly small. 

Edited by Primus