First swimbait fish!

eyra_kid

Went out this weekend prefishing for a tournament. The bite was tough. Threw the 7" Slammer in the morning, but only one half-hearted swipe at it.

Later, found a little pocket full of shad, so I tied on the High Power Herring. My partner was in awe. He says, "It's like watching boobs. I just can't stop staring at the way it moves." :lol: I had to agree.

So I had no hits in that pocket, so I put it down so my partner could get back to fishing. We went to another pocket full of shad, and I hooked a nice one on a jig, but lost it. Picked up the HPH and threw it down the bank, twitched it a couple times and paused it like a jerkbait. Line pulls tight and she's on! Only about a 2.5 pounder though, and I didn't get a pic. :x

But I have a feeling this won't be the last fish on it, and hopefully not the biggest one.

It sounds redundant... but, the first fish is always the hardest. It was that way for me, and now they're just pouring in. I feel like it has something to do with attitude. I wasn't very confident with swimbaits until I caught my first bass on one( 2 lb on a spro 4") Now, I don't think I could be more confident with a swimbait on the end of my rod. Well that... and I feel like I'm allowed to be cocky with them badass rods Ben conjures up for us.

way to get your first. I love the comment" its like watching boobs". I think that sums up how I feel about the baits. Its just something about watching them swim and knowing at any minute I have a legit shot at a PB. Awesome job again and I hope you can get a couple in the tourney as well

You guys are right on. It's all about confidence, and catching that one fish will keep me chunking it.

Fish are kind of in the post-spawn funk, but I'm hoping they'll turn on this weekend.

The HPH is tied on fresh line and ready!

The comments about confidence are right on the money. There is a huge difference between looking at a bait and thinking it's going to work vs KNOWING it works.

I try to explain this to people all the time...itnwill seriously effect how hard you fish a bait

I honestly believe that this is one of the most important parts of swimbaitfishing!

Way to go! I just started really swimbaiting this year. You really just have to be persistent and learn. The fish will come and the confidence in them will grow little by little. I'm still getting a feel for it and it sure has been addicting. :D