8.5" Trout Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

On 3/10/2022 at 9:12 PM, danthefisherman said:

Yeah it almost makes me want to try three hooks, but that’ll look silly on a sub 10” bait I think haha.

I just might try that next time, thanks for the suggestion!

The double split rings truly make a huge difference. I think that they truly shine on fish that are in pressured bodies of water that like to just nip at the tail of your baits. What I do to maintain action is drop down to a smaller split ring size than normal (I use doubled hyper wire size 4s on my deps 250s), because the hooks will still tuck up on the swing but still swing lower and further back then before. 

• 2 weeks later...

Swing and a miss on an old prototype. It was pretty neat I got to see the fish come up and eat about ten feet in front of me. I’m most definitely moving that rear hook hanger back now…looks like a short strike from behind.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:33 PM, danthefisherman said:

Swing and a miss on an old prototype. It was pretty neat I got to see the fish come up and eat about ten feet in front of me. I’m most definitely moving that rear hook hanger back now…looks like a short strike from behind.

I've had that happen to me before a few times and it hurts the soul. That hook hanger adjustment should help solve that. I missed a 6-7+ on a 250 2 years ago because the fish ate the whole back portion of my bait and I had saltwater hooks at the time that didn't move when the fish would vacuum at the baits. Since I did the double split ring adjustment and changed hooks I haven't missed as many.

3 hours ago, Rogervang said:

I hate when I can see the fish hit. I get to excited too quick almost all the time haha that was a good fish too. 

Same, it’s easy to set too early when you can see the bite…and when that happens my natural response is always to try yanking the fish into orbit :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

One for me and one for the Swimbait Culture SFA event…giving them to my brother @porkmeatballs to paint because he’s way better at it than me haha.

E65CD1D7-D8A4-4357-A70E-A50F591C394A.thumb.jpeg.7d450bfa63e725261ac9272d5d5de9f7.jpeg

The new mold didn’t turn out as I had hoped. It was old silicone and there were a handful of bubbles trapped near the master. Also the tail slot had warped and cured slightly off center. Still, there are a handful of trial mold features that I like and will incorporate into the next one.

Moving the rear treble hooks back seems to have shortened the glide a bit which I am honestly ok with. What it lost in gliding distance is far outweighed by a potential increase in hookup percentage in my books. Also it seemed to have smoothed out the gliding transition a bit, probably thanks to moving some masses away from the pivot point/pin.

14 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

One for me and one for the Swimbait Culture SFA event…giving them to my brother @porkmeatballs to paint because he’s way better at it than me haha.

E65CD1D7-D8A4-4357-A70E-A50F591C394A.thumb.jpeg.7d450bfa63e725261ac9272d5d5de9f7.jpeg

The new mold didn’t turn out as I had hoped. It was old silicone and there were a handful of bubbles trapped near the master. Also the tail slot had warped and cured slightly off center. Still, there are a handful of trial mold features that I like and will incorporate into the next one.

Moving the rear treble hooks back seems to have shortened the glide a bit which I am honestly ok with. What it lost in gliding distance is far outweighed by a potential increase in hookup percentage in my books. Also it seemed to have smoothed out the gliding transition a bit, probably thanks to moving some masses away from the pivot point/pin.

I still can hardly comprehend the detail that you put into these baits. Those scales are incredible.

2 hours ago, Big Epp said:

Dan, the detail you put into carving these baits makes a hard case for me for molding.  I can't imagine doing all that detail work over and over again! 

I really like how you add the fins as inserts, building them out from the body of the lure.

Thanks Victor! Molding and casting resin comes with its own set of challenges and costs, but yes it is really nice to be able to replicate your work. It allows me to put a lot of time into my master carve knowing that if I lose the first prototype I can always pour another.

The fin inserts are just easier and safer for me. I carve the whole body of my lures out of solid wood with a utility knife, so incorporating fins into the main carve is just asking to lop off something I shouldn’t or driving the blade into my leg (I’ve done both :lol:). I don’t get that natural transition into the fins with inserts, but they suite my needs and building process better.

Edited by danthefisherman

This beauty will be shipping out next week to help with the third annual Swimbaits for Autism fundraiser event put on by Swimbait Culture. I would have loved to fish the paint off this thing but am glad that she is going to a good cause.

F8B5BFD8-41FF-4941-8DA2-E417F2E094F9.thumb.jpeg.d8f2b062fb5aadf831cfc125971576fe.jpeg

Simple paint to let the silver base really shine through. The hand tied ST-36 feather trebles add a nice touch…although I’m not sure how the extra drag will affect the swim.

1 hour ago, danthefisherman said:

This beauty will be shipping out next week to help with the third annual Swimbaits for Autism fundraiser event put on by Swimbait Culture. I would have loved to fish the paint off this thing but am glad that she is going to a good cause.

F8B5BFD8-41FF-4941-8DA2-E417F2E094F9.thumb.jpeg.d8f2b062fb5aadf831cfc125971576fe.jpeg

Simple paint to let the silver base really shine through. The hand tied ST-36 feather trebles add a nice touch…although I’m not sure how the extra drag will affect the swim.

That’s beautiful