1 day carve to seal...WARNING PIC HEAVY!

Wykyd B8

I have never docume nted a build so with the Shelter In Place order I figured I would do a challenge and try to punch something out in a day. Not entirely happy with the shape but we will see how it swims. 

Please give feedback if there is anything I can do better let me know. The part I hate most is the mouth then gills. I can never get them decent and symmetrical and it drives the OCD me crazy.

The shape is 10" long and 2.75" high. the rear joint is at 4.5" but will be 5.5 with the tail and front section is 5.5. Soaked in sealer 30 mins each section.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

IMG_4978.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

I dig it man. 

what did you use to cut the joint? Looks super clean and dead even. 

i really like the “bulge” over the eyes 

what sealer is that?? 

overall man I really like it.

Thats a lot of work Especially for a “1 day” build. 

Thank you @chefchris 

I used a cheap table saw for the joint on this one but a compound miter will get the same results. I went 25* on this one and sanded a little more into the rear after I cut it. Trick is u gotta cut in block form first to get square results and leave enough of a tag to sand and manipulate the blank.

The sealer is ac1315 a concrete sealer. It dries hard, you can dip and I have had the same gallon for 5 years lol. Negatives are it reacts with plastisol so you have to have a good topcoat and it doesn’t sand all that great especially multiple coats.

I feel you on the symmetry part driving you crazy. I spend hours just staring at my carve looking for where the bait is lopsided and how I can fix it...only to find even more things I missed after finishing the bait haha. I suspect this is why I take so long building a new bait because I want to make sure to get it all right the first time. Sometimes it helps to have a friend or relative with a fresh perspective take a look for you and make suggestions too.

Bait looks great so far!

I took my 4 year old daughter fishing (on a long snack trip and boat ride) today so didn't get much done on the bait. I did manage a 3lb waver fish though.

Progress was limited to balancing and filling holes today. Next I need to sand the bondo and everything else to 500 and re seal. Being that I dont like the profile I may just go to 220 grit and call it good. tim e will tell.

12.jpg

19 hours ago, Luke h said:

What is the purple stuff you put to fill in the weight holes

17 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Looks like the bondo!

Great looking bait so far!

Ya it’s just regular car bondo. The final sanding on more intricate carvings I use glazing putty. It’s more expensive but you can get great results with it.

Well It slow glides nice but I dont like how it acts when I rip it or crank it fast. Now I have to decide If I want to try and balance it better to get it more stable at high speeds. What do you guys think?

Edited by Wykyd B8
Videos

@Wykyd B8 personally I don’t fish glides much over a slow/medium retrieve so that baits looks great for my needs. 

glides for me have always been a cold water early:late season option. And one of the few times I fish during daylight hours 

so a fast glide for that reaction bite doesn’t do it for me, but that could change as I hope to get out more early am/early afternoon this season 

especially listening to Butch saying all his fish are 9am to 2pm bite window. That’s usually when I’m packing it in and going home to get some sleep