NEW Curado 300 (RUMORS)

DirtySouthGlide

Alright SU it’s rumor time. What I’m about to post here is only rumor but I mentioned it in another post and it seems to garner some interest so I am moving the discussion it to this thread for purposes of discussing these rumors. Recently Diawa has released their new Tatula 300 size real obviously catering towards the swim bait market. About a month ago someone I know who has contacts in Shimano and they told me Shimano is going to bring back the Curado 300 for “You swimbait guys.” A month later we see the new Tatula 300. If you know anything about how Diawa and Shimano work they usually trade blows back and forth on reels. A lot of it has to do with price point and being able to offer an alternative at a similar or better price. My source told me that Shimano’s plan was to specifically cater to “Us” with the Curado 300 and push the Tranx for the salt water guys. A move that has more to do with price points than anything else. If you take a Tranx and eliminate all of the extra bells and whistles that make it saltwater capable you can drop the price point and compete or out compete the Tatula 300. About three years ago when the Curado k dropped this same source told me shimano had plans to expand the Curado line up vastly and use the well known and respected name to create a wide range of models under that badge. Since then we have seen all of that come to fruition and continue with shimanos release of the Curado MGL today. So my source has been pretty good over the last couple of years and I wouldn’t expect it to be any different in regards to a new Curado 300. This is really all I have for now. I will continue to update this thread as I get more information and if you guys hear anything let us know! Thanks SU!

I would say with the release of the Tatula 300 it all but guarantees it at some point. Like I said these two company’s are so heavily driven by price points. With the Tatula 300 coming in at a lower price than the Tranx 300 it will take units sold away from the Tranx. Shimano will want those customers back. If I had to guess what we will see is a Trank 300/400 with a different paint scheme and minus the hydrophobic coatings necessary for salt water applications. Something like that could directly compete with the new Tatula’s price point. 

I'm friendly with two Shimano pro staff guys here in New England, and reached out to them, as they both are legit and always have the new gear out being tested in a number of platforms (fresh/salt/offshore tuna, etc.) so once i hear anything one way of the other I'll update. 

I would have to believe they have a response for the tatula 300 which would probably have been unveiled at icast, theyll probably do a live virtual release as they have a ton of new updates to their line up 

Thanks for making the thread. I have been waiting for something like this. Really just hoping.   Also been buying Japan 300E’s HaHa. Is anything going to take that spot? Hope its nice.  I guess we might see something in a few days. Maybe! 

5F295772-EB1B-49C5-9E96-ABE0F03FB04F.png

If it is a secret its the best kept secret ever. Unfortunetely due to the current state of fishing manufacturing, if the did any cost cutting measures, IE chinese made parts, it may be awhile until we see an actual reel. Preorder your new reels now because it will be awhile until stores catch up from internet orders while overseas shipping and production were shut down.

35 minutes ago, MA Frog Man said:

If it is a secret its the best kept secret ever. Unfortunetely due to the current state of fishing manufacturing, if the did any cost cutting measures, IE chinese made parts, it may be awhile until we see an actual reel. Preorder your new reels now because it will be awhile until stores catch up from internet orders while overseas shipping and production were shut down.

Yes. Most likely right on the money. But dude. Let the Shimano guys have hope Ha Ha. 

I was not given any idea whatsoever as far as time frame for a Curado 300. Certainly nothing I would expect to see in 2020. Like MA said a project that far along would be difficult to hide. 

Edited by DirtySouthGlide

In my opinion Daiwa is late to the game. They should have given the steez a 300 size makeover than making an already watered down Tatula line of reels even more watered down. If the Tatula 300 is just a bigger version of a 100/150 tatula I think its going to be a dud. Id take a 300 size with no t wing though. But a 300 size Tatula is $70 more than a Lexa? Doesn't add up to me. Their best selling swimbait reel is the Z which they discountinued 10 years ago. 

Shimano should do the same thing an come out with a bantum 300 but its not going to be a cheap reel. 429.99ish. Tranx is already a very bare bones reel as far as parts goes. Id take one without the seals, which do a better job at keeping the water in than out. Shimano has a problem when 15 year old 300es are selling on ebay for more than a 1 year old used Tranx. I could see 100 year reboot of some classic reels as a limited release though.

At the end of the day though this segment is peanuts. The $120-180 price range is the bulk of the market for good reason. Tranx is a home run whether or not its a good reel. Its just in time for the John Skinner generation who wants to use low profile for fluke/blackfish/tautog/striper. And its dominating the freshwater swimbait game. I don't think shimano wants to market 2 reels when they can market 1 and not poach their own customers when they know swimbait guys will pay whatever for a reel and saltwater guys will buy whatever youtube fisherman tell them too.

Shimano blew their shot with me when when I fished the curado 300 for a while. Side by side with my OG Lexa’s it doesn’t even compare. The Lexa was much cheaper at the time, available in three gear ratio’s instead of one, and had a bigger drag and more line capacity I believe. Casted further as well. That being said, still not thrilled on a tatula 300. I do love my tatula 200 though and might grab another. Hate the t-wing system. If shimano is gonna remake the curado 300 they need to have some options this time. Not everyone fishes a 6.2 reel. And like brian said, I think Abu makes as good a reel as anyone. 

so from what i was just told is there is NOT a new curado being released, this is from a long time pro staff shimano employee, now he may be keeping quiet as thats his job until products get released. so take that with a grain of salt

so well have to see when they do their release 

I have x2 Tranx 300 and, x2 Lexa 300 size reels that I fish. 1 each, in a high and low gear ratio. Side by side, I VASTLY prefer the Tranx. Just my opinion. 

I remember coming up in Bass fishing and the first lo-pro swimbait reel I heard of, was the Curado 300. Heck, my tourney partner will ONLY throw the Curado. He’s had them since he bought them, like over 10 yrs ago. It would be interesting to see how long they last on the shelves, if they do come out. Also interesting to see any design/technology changes they make to it. IE, a DC model, color schemes, addition of power handle.