Bite-Sized Shad

danthefisherman

Don't you hate that feeling of helplessness when you can't get bit on your big trout glide because the fish are keyed in on tiny shad? I sure do haha. The Rapala Shad Rap has been my top conventional bait when small threadfin or baitfish are on the menu (I've caught some big fish on that little bait), so I've been wanting to make an upscaled and more realistic shad imitator for a good while. I'm planning to have this bait sit at 4.25" long and will experiment with a variety of actions, joint combinations, materials, applications, etc. I'll be molding the master as one piece so that I can have more opportunities to experiment with it.

I've been working on this bait for a bit, and thus far it has been very challenging just to carve the master. As much as I love working with bass wood, it does have the tendency to crack and flake when I try to carve scales or fine detail. My eyes keep crossing trying to focus on what I'm doing for long periods of time. Tuning the bait will probably be an even bigger hurdle seeing as I have less material to work with. Hardware selection and placement will be a critical factor with such a small bait. I left the front half of the master fairly wide to try and maximize how much resin I'll have to work with while still maintaining a good body profile. Also, I'd like this bait to move water and stand out from the millions of real shad swimming around.

So here she is so far! My brother @porkmeatballs told me I shouldn't post this until I was ready to mold but it's my way of keeping myself accountable and motivated to push forward :D. She still needs a bit of cleaning up done, but this is more or less the finished look. Wish me the best. I have the tendency to drop the ball on new projects or end up with a dud more often than I'd care to admit haha. Either way, it's still been a fun little piece to pour my efforts into. Enjoy and thanks for following along!

20210207_095326-01.thumb.jpeg.0ea90763623d72dad9232c658eb37cfb.jpeg

20210219_153334-01.thumb.jpeg.9e4796d3b01a2426ca469bb9ac461d55.jpeg

IMG_3022-01.thumb.jpeg.8f9b9ebf5f4e4ef90d2edbb7741245ec.jpeg

20210308_144621-01.thumb.jpeg.779486ef7f8168b07f6807e330815806.jpeg

20210309_105925-01.thumb.jpeg.f206add7eb75c3b622cfb7e7cd7a475c.jpeg

3 hours ago, azfisher said:

Beautiful lines to it Dan, it looks like it would make a killer soft bait also.   Scales hurt my head...

Much thanks, Will! Yeah I was thinkin "soft bait" when I decided to mold one piece. It would be near impossible for me to convert after cutting a joint with all those scales in the way. Also I hate carving resin haha

17 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

looks awesome so far, I love small shad baits for smallmouths, they hammer them

Thank you! There is a small population of smallies where I usually fish, but I've never run into a decent one yet. It would be sweet to catch one on this!

1 hour ago, Socalswimbait said:

Nice looking body. I did a small one a few years back and it was such a pain to pour and balance. Still have the master but every time I see it I just shake my head and hide it in the pile. Lol 

Good luck man!!

Well that's not what I wanted to hear haha...I've got a feeling ill be doing a lot of scratching and shaking of my head with this little thing. Thanks for the well wishes hopefully I can make you proud.

13 minutes ago, GrizzleyShad said:

That is nice work.. I want one lol 

Thank you! Hoping the bass do too when/if I can dial it in