CL8 bait

bassturds

Baby possum all the way if you’re set up can handle it. Weighs 4.5oz and is one of the bigger rats around. It has a unique “squeak” from the joint hardware and reverse cut. 

a lot of people complain that the bait has a lot of “drag” and feels heavier than it is. I don’t feel that way. 

the bait is pretty much a New England staple (or it was at one point) the crankdown version was a dsouth idea and that bait also gets chewed 

his wake model wakes and maybe gets down 2’ on a faster start up. The crankdown runs 3-4’ but he also makes an extra deep that gets down to 8’ 

7 hours ago, chefchris said:

Baby possum all the way if you’re set up can handle it. Weighs 4.5oz and is one of the bigger rats around. It has a unique “squeak” from the joint hardware and reverse cut. 

a lot of people complain that the bait has a lot of “drag” and feels heavier than it is. I don’t feel that way. 

the bait is pretty much a New England staple (or it was at one point) the crankdown version was a dsouth idea and that bait also gets chewed 

his wake model wakes and maybe gets down 2’ on a faster start up. The crankdown runs 3-4’ but he also makes an extra deep that gets down to 8’ 

Thanks bud. Why do you think it gets chewed so well so well.  A cranking rat. That’s something you don’t see. Which is probably why it works.

18 minutes ago, bassturds said:

Thanks bud. Why do you think it gets chewed so well so well.  A cranking rat. That’s something you don’t see. Which is probably why it works.

toxic mink cranks down very well cant even begin to tell you how many big fish eat it I can get it down about 4 feet

1 hour ago, bassturds said:

I live in Arkansas, so my 2 cents may not be as applicable to your waters.  The animals that swim around here (rats, nutrea, muskrat, etc) if you chase them in your boat or kayak they dive when you get close.  I think this is common for animals evading a predator.  If you pay attention to bass behavior, when something flees or changes course quickly, it can create a reaction strike.  I think the cranking of rat baits can imitate the fleeing animals well and get you strikes. 

As to the Cl8, the one I had seemed to be a more subtle rat.  There are some rats that are much wider and noisy.  I use to follow the theory that loud and noisy top water was the way to go.  This was because I wanted to imitate an animal that was struggling in the water.  The more time I spend on the water the more I just see animals swimming around regularly and not struggling at all.  I think I will personally pick up another baby possum in the spring to imitate a more subtle swimming animal.  

IDK if any of this helps lol

Definitely try one they're cool baits. I'd go with the baby possum. I had a good stretch last fall with the cranking version. It's a big bait for sure. I throw it on my 867 and it is right in the sweet spot of that rod. All my bites were with the crankdown. Once the weeds started dying off and they pulled to wood I had good success cranking deeper laydowns with it. Like @chefchris said the waking version will still crankdown but only like 2ft. Probably better for fishing over weedbeds. I don't think it has "too much" drag in the water if you're cranking it, but if you're fishing from a kayak or something it will tow you around a bit.  

7 hours ago, Whiskeyriver said:

I live in Arkansas, so my 2 cents may not be as applicable to your waters.  The animals that swim around here (rats, nutrea, muskrat, etc) if you chase them in your boat or kayak they dive when you get close.  I think this is common for animals evading a predator.  If you pay attention to bass behavior, when something flees or changes course quickly, it can create a reaction strike.  I think the cranking of rat baits can imitate the fleeing animals well and get you strikes. 

As to the Cl8, the one I had seemed to be a more subtle rat.  There are some rats that are much wider and noisy.  I use to follow the theory that loud and noisy top water was the way to go.  This was because I wanted to imitate an animal that was struggling in the water.  The more time I spend on the water the more I just see animals swimming around regularly and not struggling at all.  I think I will personally pick up another baby possum in the spring to imitate a more subtle swimming animal.  

IDK if any of this helps lol

Yea that’s a good point, we got muskrats and. Beavers.  I had a brain fart lol! 

The baby possum is an intimidating bait. It's pretty big and needs a rig committed to it. Unlike many sbs, the big mamas dont do a slurp but just try kill it.  Most hits are memorable.  Chef Chris mentioned the squeal that often develops when the hinge ages.  They should copyright that or something. It can develop the squeal your best buzzbait has.  And grab a black spike it marker to color in chinks in the armour, usually on the belly. Adds great natural flash that is not black when applied but more of a natural brown. 

Edited by bigpoppabass