Silent Killer to Slide Swimmer Conversion (how to)

Top Ramen

• 1 month later...
i weighed several of my slide swimmers to determine how much weight to add to my sk flash gill and their weights were pretty varied..

bb natural trout 179.7g

flash carp 177.6g

bb bass tuned by butch 183.7g

I agree. All my deps slightly weigh different too

Thanks for the excellent info. I am trying to tune a used 175 right now. There are full sized weights in the front and back compartments and the bait still floats without the front skin on it and no front hook. I was told it was a partial conversion and still floated by the person I bought it from, so I assume it floats with both hooks on it. I was going to get the front weight out and replace it with tungsten, but it looks like it is epoxied in. Sounds like I might be able to add a little tungsten on top of the weight in the front and get it to sink slowly. The other one I have sinks nose down and a little to fast for my liking. It is also difficult to get that one to swim all the time, but that may be due to other factors like throwing it on flourocarbon. I am excited about working with these and in the process of finding a rod that handles them better than my current Loomis 904.

Thanks again.

The slide swimmer weights for the 175 are different than the silent killer weights. The "full size" weight you are referring to is probably 6 grams. The conversion weights are 10 grams each and one goes in each slot. You can heat the weight that is epoxied in with a soldering iron to loosen it, or what I do is drill a 1/8" hole in it, thread in a sheet metal screw and pop it out with vice grips.

The slide swimmer weights for the 175 are different than the silent killer weights. The "full size" weight you are referring to is probably 6 grams. The conversion weights are 10 grams each and one goes in each slot. You can heat the weight that is epoxied in with a soldering iron to loosen it, or what I do is drill a 1/8" hole in it, thread in a sheet metal screw and pop it out with vice grips.

That is a good idea. I heard about the soldering iron trick, but was not sure if it worked with all kinds of glues or epoxies. I got some tungsten and have been able to get the bait to sink by leaving the weights and adding some putty around the edges. I can't quite get the bait to sink horizontally, but I can get it to sink slowly nose first. I am not sure if the tungsten will stay put the way I have it. I also am not sure what to do to get a more horizontal sink. Probably just need to play with it more. I am trying not to take the skin on and off a bunch since it is a little torn from the previous owner. Looking forward to throwing it though since even my black one that doesn't swim that

well has gotten some nice fish.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am in the process of converting my SK to a SS. I have the bill removed and ground out. I have also removed the tail weight. I am now looking at the weight.  I'm going by the weight of my SS (178 grams) with all the hardware removed, and my SK (148 grams) with all the hardware removed it is a full ounce difference. I'm just wondering if there are that much variations to these baits. It appears to match my SS I'd need to add 30 grams of weight to make it the same as my SS. Does that sound right?