Reels (all members)

Hchapa09

Im thinking if getting both a calcutta and a lexa but not sure watch to pair them up with. Im defiantly going to get a LDC for my birthday but not sure what other brands to look at.

Here is what I have set up if it helps any.

Revo toro winch 60 muskie innovations 10' MH bull dawg rod. (More for muskies but I through the cl8 possum and hinkle glider on this)

400 te ldc custom xxh 8' (65 braid)

300te ldc custom xh 8' (25 floro)

300te okuma GS Xh 7'11" (25 floro)

Lexa 300 Ldc production mh 7'9" (25 mono)

The best part is you can buy 3 Cardiffs for the price of one calcutta

Why ya gota steal my lines :lol::lol: I said these exact words not long ago ;) I would still use a Cardiff even though one blew completely up on a big fish. They boated so many too. The only reel to go bad on me quick was a Calcutta B , it had something wrong from the get go.

:lol::lol: Sorry Don! I must have missed that. I had the same problem with a Calcutta B. The level wind gear (which is plastic on the calcutta and brass on the Cardiff. Go figure) just broke in half after about 3 trips. Luckily it's an easy and cheap repair.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't responded to some of y'all's responses been very busy these past few months. Thanks for all the feed back that was posted on my topic. So I ended up going with a shimano Cardiff 300 and an okuma guide select. Once again I appreciate everyone's help.

I have fished 200-400 TE's, 400 B's, Curados, and a Lexa....None of them have done me wrong. They have all kept up and been sturdy, also have heard nothing but positive things from the Pluton and Calcutta D's. It's mostly a preference and/or depends on the type of bait you are using or the gear ratio you prefer.

• 3 years later...

I just bought a Lexa 300 and took it out for its first test run. I fished a Gantarel and it performed very well, casting effortlessly, drag was smooth, even though it's larger than my other conventional bait casting reels if fishes small, fits the hand well. Very please with this reel.

I just picked up an A3 last week, so far it seems solid. I chose that over the tranx for the 6.3.1 ratio. I needed something a little more all around and opted for that speed over the the tranx offerings. Casting distance is nice, holds a bunch of line, and isn't to bulky in my opinion. Thoughh i've only been able to throw it for an hour or so, in between sheets of ice....

I just picked up an A3 last week, so far it seems solid. I chose that over the tranx for the 6.3.1 ratio. I needed something a little more all around and opted for that speed over the the tranx offerings. Casting distance is nice, holds a bunch of line, and isn't to bulky in my opinion. Thoughh i've only been able to throw it for an hour or so, in between sheets of ice....

Send it on down to Louisiana and I'll keep it warm for you until your weather improves.  Ha!

Thanks for the info.  I have lots of concept reels for my regular stuff and they are great.  I've had them for a few years now.  I expect the A3 will be solid but I really value the real world test from others.

Guys, do you really need a low speed reel for big swimbaits? I fish mainly 3-6oz baits right now. Both reels i want to use are low pro and don't come in any 5 ratio retrieves. I can also get a killer deal on two right now. Could i just use a 7.3:1? Would 6.3:1 be a whole lot better? Thanks