Where to start with rats?

EastWA_BASS

Would like to add a rat to the arsenal. Seems like there is a million options out there from different builders, number of pieces, color, etc. Not even sure where to start. 

Anyone have recommendations? Around $100 ideally. 

Thanks SU.

I’ll cut right to the chase:

If you are just getting into rat baits, just get a couple of Spro 50 size rats. Very budget friendly, with proven track record to catch quality bass. Most of us started off with the Spro Rats. They will definitely build your confidence for fishing large sized rats.

If you want  to to dive deeper, I would recommend 2pc rats.
@SacPig916 makes some phenomenal rats. I would look into is traveling 2pc rat. Illudes are another excellent choice. Right now he has 2pc gerbils on his site for $90. You can always find his 2pc Zombie Rats and Gas Rats for sale in the Black Market for around $100 or less.

Alot of this is going to depend on your gear and what it can handle. There is so many other options from other great makers. The ones I mention are some that come to my mind that I have used. You are going to get a lot of great recommendations from other members and they are all going to be good. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler

Along with what mossyback suggested I'd also recommend nez rat, micro mink, bull rat, stray rocker rat

Proven rats and u can find them on the after market for below retail. Micro mink was my first rat and caught me my first rat fish 

Micro mink from toxic remains one of my favorite.  Ec rodent by reckless rodents is a great rat bait…toxic and reckless usually 130$ can usually find them on black market cheaper.  If you want to get something with less rattle and noise black anchor fishing company has a great rat bait 80$ rt-fkr .   Top is ec rodent

next is black anchor then toxic mink.  (Any excuse to post rat bite pics I’ll take lol)

IMG_0165.jpeg

IMG_0723.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

B8206160-8348-46A6-9614-592C0ED015D9.jpeg

Edited by Adonelan75

Also second the throw rats in rain. Slow slow retrieve on top.  Let them sit often.  For me personally if I’m out before the sun comes up it’s rat on top till the sun is up. 

22nd century (triple trout) nezuma rat. Pick your size and let it rip. The standard model fishes a little slower due to the lip style, still an absolute killer when you learn how to fish it. The wake only model is great for fishing it a little faster on top but they’re also a little harder to come by

52 minutes ago, swimbaitrookie said:

So... on three days here in Az :)

Never had luck on any wakes in the actual rain but grabbed a couple dinks on a mink last weekend to end the year a day after a big shower , went 3 fr 3 before the hands got cold and called it

20231230_171856.jpg

20231230_172254.jpg

20231230_172715.jpg