Short Swimbait Rods Part Deux

I've read the other thread on short combat-style SB rods, very much interested in the Expride 66XH, though a couple of posters said it wasn't quite parabolic enough for treble baits. 

I'm also looking at the Daiwa Black Label LG 6111H+FB-SB, which at 6'11 seems a more reasonable length than 6'6 or even shorter...does anyone have experience with this rod? 

Aiming to throw 1.5oz up to 4.5oz, rod is rated to 5oz, so on paper it looks doable. Any other suggestions on a sub 7 foot rod that will fish a K9 comfortably I'm all ears.  

Shimano Bantam 168XH. Totally awesome rod. Have an Antares MD on it and fish everything from a TK to a Phoney Shad on it. 

Whoever came up with this rod should design a slightly heavier 7'3 rod for 2-8 oz baits. Same kind of design and bend. 

Edited by 5-20

I've been ogling the Valkyrie VKC66XH that someone had mentioned in another thread. From what I hear it has a very parabolic load up for a short rod making it more suitable for fishing big hard baits. It also has similar stats to the short rod I use right now, the legit design WSC65XXH. I love that rod and I still contend that it's the most fun rod I own, but the rod is a bit on the fast side for a hard bait rod so I use soft mono to compensate for the action and a fast reel to pick up as much line as possible. You still get relatively poor hooksets outside of thirty meters and if you hook a fish at the end of a long cast the success rate of actually landing the fish is somewhat poor since the combination of short and fast action isn't a great mix for fighting fish. Thankfully most of the fishing I do with this rod is in the 5-10 meter range where the actual fight is pretty brief and you can just horse the fish to the net.

12 minutes ago, Jon P said:

the legit design WSC65XXH. I love that rod and I still contend that it's the most fun rod I own, but the rod is a bit on the fast side for a hard bait rod so I use soft mono to compensate for the action and a fast reel to pick up as much line as possible. You still get relatively poor hooksets outside of thirty meters and if you hook a fish at the end of a long cast the success rate of actually landing the fish is somewhat poor since the combination of short and fast action isn't a great mix for fighting fish. 

Yeah that's why I figure a long short rod at 6'11/7' might be what I'm looking for - just a few extra inches of taper to play around with. 

I'm probably going to get that BLX LG rod and I'll report back after spending some time on it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 8:48 PM, 5-20 said:

Shimano Bantam 168XH. Totally awesome rod. Have an Antares MD on it and fish everything from a TK to a Phoney Shad on it. 

Whoever came up with this rod should design a slightly heavier 7'3 rod for 2-8 oz baits. Same kind of design and bend. 

Handle length on the 68 bantam?

I loved long rods and long handles since I started swimbaiting. Was mainly shore banging for 5+ yrs but damn, now I'm on a kayak, man....the long handles are now a hindrance a lot of times. Sucks because I feel like I dialed in my setups for all my different baits. 

55 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

I loved long rods and long handles since I started swimbaiting. Was mainly shore banging for 5+ yrs but damn, now I'm on a kayak, man....the long handles are now a hindrance a lot of times. Sucks because I feel like I dialed in my setups for all my different baits. 

What issues are you running into? 

5 minutes ago, MurdaJ said:

What issues are you running into? 

Long handles get in the way. They bump into the seat or into my side and thigh lol. When standing it's fine. It's when sitting and casting around that it feels like a shorter rod and handle would ge better. Standing is an issue because of drifting so u can't do it long without getting out of position. I don't have a spot lock motor or anything so u gotta stay seated to constantly adjust the rudder, pedal backwards or forward and what not. Because retrieving a bait will pull your nose toward the bait and pull the whole kayak toward the bait. Especially a lipped bait. 

Edited by SumoNinja