Swimbait reels that are high end

BullyBee

What is the absolute best (objectively) swimbait reel? I don’t care about brand preference, so if you love shimano, tell me your favorite. If you love Daiwa, tell me your favourite. If you love Abu tell me your favorite. 

I’d be using it for pike and using lures up to 3oz. I’d be using mostly swimbaits as my smaller rods, take care of spinners and spoons, etc. Doing pretty much the same techniques as you guys do with swimbaits so I figured I’d ask here. 

it seems like the industry has become complacent. If it’s for finesse, they will make a product that is light and strong and controllable. But then it seems once you get into freshwater swimbait Reels it seems like they said “oh, here’s some thing we already have. We’ll just make it bigger.”

I want something as powerful as a tranx, and as light as a steez (5.6oz) :) 

The Calcutta Conquest 200 DC is probably the most recommended reel on this forum. I don't own one, but every owner has praise for them. 

My personal experience and favorites are Daiwa Z2020 and 18 Zillion HD 1520. The Zillion is a tank (handles 4oz no problem) and is compact and light. The Z2020 is larger and quite a bit heavier. 

I’m a reel addict to the detriment of my bank account and have owned most “swimbait” reels. My favorites are a Shimano Conquest 200DC HG, Shimano Curado 200e7, Daiwa Ryoga 1520 and a Daiwa Z2020SH

All of them have different applications for me but for my money Shimano and Daiwa reels are the only reels I use at this point through a decent amount of trial and error with other “swimbait” reels. Hope this helps

I plan on using a mark 56 from megabass or a st croix legend tournament pike rod. 

I’m really tempted to try the megabass evo  “white python.”

Conquest 300/400 is my pick, I like the last model before the HG (no side dial control) reels are a work horse and now with the HG out the prices for like new used are stupid cheap. Especially on the Japan sites 

conquest 200dc hg for the smalller stuff 

loved my ryoga 1520 but the casting distance is awful (imho), the z2020 is also great, nice and light, higher ratio 

The 2022 Zillion 1000 TW HD and the 2018 Ryoga 1520 have both really impressed me in the range of lures they can cast without backlashing. Both lighter lures than most of my swimbait reels can cast and heavier baits than most conventional reels feel comfortable casting. One downside to both reels though is that the drag is pretty dang light, they're both rated to 6kg drag but it feels like 4-5 kg at best. Lighter than I'd like for bass and definitely lighter than I'd like for pike. The Shimano Calcutta D 200 on the other hand is an absolute gearbox of a reel. Doesn't have the sexy magforce brakes that make the Zillion and Ryoga so nice but for the 1-4 oz. range you probably won't feel like you're missing out.

I’m a low profile guy with a massive bias towards shimano so I’d have to agree with @Dink whisperer. I recently got the new Antares dc Md and I really like it. Time will tell of course but it seems super smooth and pretty damn strong overall. I have heard great things about round reels but they just feel weird in hand. Probably because I got Vienna sausages for fingers but that’s besides the point. That being said any reel that gets you out on the water chucking baits is a good reel. 

all my salt gear without level winds is daiwa

shimano is all my freshwater/ inshore gear. i have one tatula, but the t wing SUCKS

abu's all tend to be way heavier compared to either shimano or daiwa, so i havent bought one besides a trout spinning reel

For the money and strength and cast ability for 4-8z stuff I really am enjoying the Scorpion MD. At around $200 it's an absolute tank of a reel and holds a ton of line and braid backing... I definitely own all the high end stuff mentioned above, and the Antates23 and Conquest MD are both beautiful and functional, BUT if I were to do it all over, I'd buy multiples Scorpion and maaaybe get some slick DC reel for accurate bank running. I would try a high end Daiwa but not anytime in the near future... Also agree the Zillion 1000 HD is extremely underrated and almost tiny by comparison and would handle probably 3oz with no real concern at all. I use it for bombing c-rigs a mile on heavy floro though. Great reel just not in my SB arsenal. Good luck finding your gear

On 3/3/2024 at 10:03 PM, BullyBee said:

What is the absolute best (objectively) swimbait reel? I don’t care about brand preference, so if you love shimano, tell me your favorite. If you love Daiwa, tell me your favourite. If you love Abu tell me your favorite. 

I’d be using it for pike and using lures up to 3oz. I’d be using mostly swimbaits as my smaller rods, take care of spinners and spoons, etc. Doing pretty much the same techniques as you guys do with swimbaits so I figured I’d ask here. 

it seems like the industry has become complacent. If it’s for finesse, they will make a product that is light and strong and controllable. But then it seems once you get into freshwater swimbait Reels it seems like they said “oh, here’s some thing we already have. We’ll just make it bigger.”

I want something as powerful as a tranx, and as light as a steez (5.6oz) :) 

In terms of “strong and light” I would think the new bantams (2018 & 2023) are the best “new innovation” on the market being full blown low pro reals with the rigidity of the one piece calcuttas giving great gear alignment under heavier loads. I’ve been using a 2018 for a little over a year and a 2023 for maybe 9 months. Spooled with 16lb flouro on all baits under 3 oz and theyve been awesome. If your fishing requires more line capacity/heavier line (they hold 100 yds of 16lb flouro) then I would stick with the calcuttas 200-400 size but those are not known for their light weight and I don’t think the drag is gonna get up there with the tranx. 

Also worth mentioning the steez are light cause they have aluminum gears usually. They’re not bad but for real heavy applications most opt for brass gearing or stainless steel on some salt reels which is even heavier. I have a morethan pe (jdm steez tuned for braid) and the gears got chewy after a couple big fish. Still a great reel and by far the best palming frame out there imo but brass is gonna be smoother/stronger for heavy duty stuff. I use my morethan to drag Texas rigs and jigs where the only time I’m reeling under load is on a fish.

Maybe get you a reel with some vibranium gears and you’ll be cooking with fire lol