First Rat Recommendation

Kacordy

I’m new to the swimbait world. I would like to toss a Rat. Which one has the best action? Best at attracting bass? Preferred size and color etc. Thank you for the advice and guidance. Allen 

33 minutes ago, Kacordy said:

I’m new to the swimbait world. I would like to toss a Rat. Which one has the best action? Best at attracting bass? Preferred size and color etc. Thank you for the advice and guidance. Allen 

That’s an easy one: Spro Rat 50 

Runner up: Spro Rat 40. 

Reckless EC Rodent (can find them second hand on here pretty regularly), Toxic Mink, Spro Rat 50/40, PB Rat 2 or 3 piece,  and the Sac Pig 1 or 2 piece rats are all favorites of mine. Can't go wrong with any of the rats out there just need to pick one and learn how to present it to the fish. 

I say skip all the “starter” nonsense and buy the one that you like. Youtube is a great place to see swim vids on swimbaits. Find  one that looks cool to you.

If it works out, great! If not, sale it or trade it on the Black Market and try a different one until you find the one for you. 

Spro rat 50. They wake well and get bit. They also aren’t expensive so you can throw them in those hard to reach places and if they get stuck you aren’t out a lot of money.  If you want a rat that cranks down nez rat and pb rats are good. The cl8 cranking possum is also good 

Two-piece, wood, and one that walks (not necessarily wakes) well. My favorite is the Morning Wood (yes, not making this up, that's what it's called). Sneakys are good too, but more expensive.

I have been around the (swimbait) block long enough to remember when Bill Siemantel started advertizing the Spro Rat. One of the things he mentioned is how the Spro Rat is not wood, but sounds like it is. "In my mind", there's something special about the sound a two-piece wood rat makes.

Also in "my mind", a rat is different from a regular wakebait. If that's not you, and I totally understand, just get a two-piece resin PB rat and fish it. Easy to find and fairly cheap.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have never thrown a rat before. I mostly stay in the glide bait and multi jointed swimbait side. I need to broaden my horizons. 

I am planning to get a couple rats in the next month or 2 before summer approaches. I have narrowed it down to the Evergreen Combat Rat, Spro Rat 50 and SU x Rago D3R.

One word of caution...the D3R has NO JOINT! Therefore, NO SOUND! Haha LOL! It's all VISUAL! It's probably best for fishing during the day in really clear water only. Which is why I want to get it since I fish mostly during the day in clear water. It probably wouldn't make a good night fishing rat I presume, but than again this is bass fishing and rules were made to be broken. Who knows, it might be a killer finesse rat for fishing at night since there's no sound. 

My 2 cents.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread from OP, but...Do you guys prefer straight braid, braid to leader or straight heavy mono for fishing rats?

I know a lot of dudes who swear by straight heavy mono. On the other hand, I know some dudes like straight braid since a rat is technically a topwater and since braid floats, it is sometimes recommended/used for fishing topwaters. Also, the braid makes 'walking' the rat a lot easier and less tiring/fatiguing. 

Edited by DEPS_250