CL8 Bait: Possum now up on website

oprcsr

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying its a bunk bait. I just don't like when guys I know haven't fished the thing say its a great bait. I think there should be some proof to back up any of the claims.Get f#$%en old!

I understand that. I have never fished it and really don't have much experience with rat baits. Just watched my copy of southern trout eaters again tonight and every time I do that i tell myself I am going to find a nezumma. Would like to see vid of the possum to he honest. If Clayton puts up some vids of it and if it looked decent I would probably get one. I am normally open to trying new baits. Hard for me to tell if a bait is good or not just based on what other people say unless I know the person.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_0315.jpg

I have fished, seen, and owned many CL8 baits because a fishing store near me worked directly with him to get his baits in the shop and I have had the Baby Possum to play with for 2 months now. Not really the time of year I would prefer to throw them, especially since I moved and most bodies of water are frozen, but this bait definitely draws some aggressive strikes. To be honest, this bait is absolutely massive. Here are some pics of some common baits being dwarfed by it; 10" Triple Trout and 9" MS Slammer. This is only the BABY possum. The size above it is just freaking beastly!

IMG_0314.jpg

The bait has a very loud clack and "squeaks" when it swims along. To describe its action is difficult because it is just flat out filthy and disgusting when wet. Looks like a fat rat just swimming along and you can really play with it to make it do a lot of different things. It definitely gets noticed. You can crank it down to about 2 feet as well and it deflects off of shallow structure well with its large bill. I got bites by cranking it hard and killing it for a minute or so. They hit it on the pause. If you like rats or huge baits, than this is a must have, no question about it.

The Clackin Shad is a sleeper. I have seen it since early testing for a year or so now and it just smokes them. Don't know what it is about the bait, but it is a killer bait for numbers. I would compare it to a Triple Trout in the respect that you can fish it faster and with a lot of jerks to get reaction bites, but it is a solid performing bait, as are a lot of his baits. It is a great tournament style bait and boats a lot of fish quick from what I've personally seen it do. The resin and paint he uses is unbelievable how resistant it is too.

I think if more people tried out his baits, they would be quite surprised of the quality he puts into his baits for the price they're offered at. He just is new to the game and people already have picked favorites. :mrgreen: I'll try and get some video of it soon when I can find some open water.

The same guy who let you in! Rookie!

point for Mickey... :P

How long has this bait been out? Sounds like it's just now making it to the market so maybe there really hasn't been time for people to fish it much. Perhaps those that have don't really want to post a lot of pics because they think they have something to themselves for now?

I'm sure that the rago rats catch fish but then I've not seen a lot of pics posted of those. Does that mean that they aren't killer baits? I've seen pics of fish with bullshats in their mouths as well.

I've always liked fishing unique baits whether hand carved cranks / topwaters / frogs or the big baits. Just for grins, I'm going to get a baby possum and the similar sized rago bait, and maybe a couple others before I make a trip to the swamp, aka Caddo lake on the Tx/La border in mid March. Then I should be able to make a fair evaluation for myself whether the bait(s) catch fish, and are worth keeping. Isn't that what we all have to do with each bait, regardless of who makes it or how many pictures are posted?

dragger, I don't mean to be rude but some hook rash at least would make me think you fish them a little anyway ;)

Hey Don, like I said, bait has a great finish and holds up well. I have had it for two months and maybe fished it for a dozen or so trips. Ill get back to you in 6 months and some cast to catch if you would like.:)

dragger, I don't mean to be rude but some hook rash at least would make me think you fish them a little anyway ;)

Hey Don, like I said, bait has a great finish and holds up well. I have had it for two months and maybe fished it for a dozen or so trips. Ill get back to you in 6 months and some cast to catch if you would like.:)

Who wouldn't like that :D

Dragger, I'm a little late but I just want to say nice job on the review. I'm pretty tempted to get that baby possum the next time I'm shopping for baits. I don't normally target Muskies but I have a feeling they would crush this bait. Might need to fish this with a leader if I'm around the toothy critters.

NOT A PUN!!!!!! Had to make sure I said that so that none of the new guys bust a nut!

You catch ANY swimbait fish in your new location?

Hey I'm only offering that up because I know this is a cast to catch audience and the strikes this bait draws are so freaking sweet they should be shared with those missing out! You get bit right where you think you should and it still surprised me every time on how aggressive the strike was. No gentle inhale, full blown KABOOSH, make you set the hook on the reflex and miss often! Hahaha. It really is a fun bait to play with when nothin is biting!

Mickey, I'm in the North East and most waters here still have 3-9 inches of ice that ain't going anywhere quick! A few smallies on 6" Triple Trouts in some smaller rivers, but nothing of size. Still waiting for spring time eagerly though!

I'll do a more detailed review and submit it within the next few days in the review section.