A question about the black market...

bryanmc

Well, it was just a question...  Just strange that a definitive "this is why" answer didn't just flow out.  Lots of ish doesn't affect my general health or well being, what's that got to do with it?

pretty simple answer...its money...plain and simple...

I've mostly sold baits via listing a price, but have sold a few in the "make offers" fashion when I wasn't sure what the asking price should be. Its definitely eye opening in that there are guys out there to screw you or take advantage of people.  For instance, in one case I put up a make offers post and had several offers in the $100 area which seemed fair, while another guy offered $40 saying that's the going price. I declined and he got all pissy saying I wouldn't do any better. I told him that's funny since I'd had several better offers, then he ghosted on me...

Another guy got pissed when I wouldn't give him a price, yet he wouldn't make an offer. Its like WTF? You read the post bro

For what it's worth, there are rip backside prices on ebay and retailers alike. I don't mind paying a little more than I should, sometimes, but anything over that is foolish. When is the last time anybody ever heard of someone paying 300% extra for rod, reel, line, etc?

It might have something to do with not wanting to negotiate in the public view. If a seller agrees to sell a bait at a lesser price than the asking price, and that guy backs out........if everyone can see what is going on, the next person simply offers him that price or talks him down from that. The seller loses any leverage. I prefer pm anyway, it is nobody's business but the buyer and seller. It is the right of the individual to ask whatever they want for their bait. Pay it or move on.

Um, baits for hugs??

I have had people say "PM offers", and then when I message them asking if they still have the bait, they message back saying "yeah, it's yours for __$$" and the price is either at retail or often below. Some people just like talking to different members on here about fishing and other BS, hence the initiation of the conversation by stating "PM me". This isn't always the case, but not everyone who doesn't post a price is trying to flip their baits...

You should be able to cast off every bait you own and your family will still eat that week.

Well said Brian. At the end of the day this topic has been talked about a hundred times. It doesn't really matter because most people don't actually read the post anyway. Even if you post up a price the same guys are going to lowball you anyway so it really doesn't matter if there is a listed price or not. Don't like how the seller is conducting his sale, then don't buy or message him. Simple. Or ask for free baits. I've heard that works.

Post a price that people feel is too much you get ripped on, post PM Offers you get ripped on. Catch 22. Its someones personal property, they can do whatever the heck they want with it. I dont like that PM offers thing cuz im too lazy to respond to em all

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30296-pm-offers-what-are-your-thoughts/?fromsearch=1

BTW you get snarky answers when people are asked the same questions year after year..PM OFFERS question is about as popular as "use the search bar " hope this helps some more

Here's what I don't understand. If a buyer tries to find the lowest price for a bait he/she wants, it's totally normal and just natural instinct right?That person is just trying to save money,

But if a seller says PM offers to get the highest amount of money possible than they are a bad guy?Doesnt make sense to me