15"+ glide bait

El_Weruso

49 minutes ago, El_Weruso said:

A guy named Jeff I discovered on eBay. He's from Whitmire farms https://www.whitmore.farm/ Can't wait to receive it, never used a stencil before haha

Removing a stencil and seeing a clean pattern underneath must be one of the best feelings in the world haha! @Rogervang Sent me some laminated paper about a year ago that I cut my own crude stencils from...but those sure look clean and should be fun to use.

8 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

Removing a stencil and seeing a clean pattern underneath must be one of the best feelings in the world haha! @Rogervang Sent me some laminated paper about a year ago that I cut my own crude stencils from...but those sure look clean and should be fun to use.

haha yeah i was using note cards and cutting out the gill stencils but they weren't coming out so clean. Biggest bait i've ever made and first bait i'm air brushing so it's a little nerve wrecking trying to not mess it up. 

I have a newfound respect for skilled air spray painters, it's a lot tougher than I expected but then again I lost my patience and rushed things at the end. Going to send the bait out to get it painted/wrapped after I fish it as is for a good while the way it stands. It needs a real paintjob by someone with skills I have yet to develop haha

I rushed on using the stencil and didn't have the stencil pressed onto the body correctly. I also need to learn to use the fin stencils for fins cause man that's much harder than I expected to make it look natural. I added a darker green flash on the back to make it look more natural rather than keeping it with the color shift. 

IMG_20200902_084100.jpg

IMG_20200902_084110.jpg

Not bad, Neill...it's a good attempt! Yeah I've also realized that airbrushing is a lot harder than it sounds especially if you only have a subpar compressor and single action brush. It sure makes you learn to appreciate awesome painters like Bassjak and others haha. Keep practicing and you'll get there!

• 1 month later...

I really didn't like the way the bait looked, rushed it too fast with painting and left some bad details so I'm using paint remover with cotton swabs to not let it absorb into the wood. Then sanding off some uneven areas as well as the body. Also curved grooves in the fins, she looks like she's been under water for months haha

16028040277387543110931803132724.jpg

Welcome to bait painting hahaha dont worry this wont be the last time you wash paint off of baits. I'm sure your next attempt will be more of your liking. Take what you didnt like from the last paint job and change it in the next. Good luck man, I thought the first paint job was pretty cool. 

On 10/19/2020 at 6:48 PM, Rogervang said:

Welcome to bait painting hahaha dont worry this wont be the last time you wash paint off of baits. I'm sure your next attempt will be more of your liking. Take what you didnt like from the last paint job and change it in the next. Good luck man, I thought the first paint job was pretty cool. 

Haha, I liked it too actually but the fin details were not great. We'll see how the next go around goes, I need to create a step by step with what layer goes down and what pattern and such. 

• 3 weeks later...