Small Boats

bass slayer

If it gets you on the water it's not to small.
ae4ef3c53c3bf7ed266b1a7dbc1a8ee4.jpg[/img]

13 ftr. The best thing about this boat is rolling up to someone in a $60,000 boat and asking if they can take a picture then pulling a toad outta the livewell. And when you hook a fish the boat turns:-)))

Its all electric for fishing the lagoon.

Just got a Champion though. It was a little sketchy fishing deep off shore structure or main lake points on the weekends. I put a 10 hp on it and it hauled ass.

I hate to see it sit outside so if anyone in socal is looking, its a sweet little rig.

I really like your setup. It looks really clean.

If it gets you on the water it's not to small.
ae4ef3c53c3bf7ed266b1a7dbc1a8ee4.jpg[/img]

13 ftr. The best thing about this boat is rolling up to someone in a $60,000 boat and asking if they can take a picture then pulling a toad outta the livewell. And when you hook a fish the boat turns:-)))

Its all electric for fishing the lagoon.

Just got a Champion though. It was a little sketchy fishing deep off shore structure or main lake points on the weekends. I put a 10 hp on it and it hauled ass.

I hate to see it sit outside so if anyone in socal is looking, its a sweet little rig.

Love it Bryan... that thing would be so friggen perfect for Westlake it's almost funny. Too bad I don't have the cash for the boat or slip fees...

We gotta get out and fish again soon brother!

8 ft bass pro pond prowler. Awesome little boat. I catch a lot of good fish out of it.

IMG_20120406_085907.jpg

Nice little boat, my dad and I fish out of a ten footer almost identical. i find that you do have to stay on top of the fish once you hook them as they tend to pull the boat around a little and can get leverage if you don't crank them in hard.

I caught my PB 13lb forg fish out of a 10 Bass Raider. We took ther B off the bass on the stickers tho 8-):lol: those little dudes are stable for their size and they have molded in beer holders! have had a few 12ft aluminums over the years too. My favorite quote about small boat was given to me from dee thomas himself. My first boat was a 10 ft fiberglass montgomery wards special that i used to slide into the back of my el camino when i was a junior in high school. I was in the bait shop before launching(cutting class :lol::lol: ) and he chuckled at the rig i had going on. when I said I couldnt wait for a bigger boat he said "Son, a boats only as good as the fisherman standing in it"

This is the reason I still have my 86 ranger. It still works and it doesnt do the catchin.

I never felt bad about my rig for a second after that day. Ill fish off plywood on some foam blocks if I have to! Go get me bro, as long as it float or doesnt leak faster than yuo can bail water use it!

"Son, a boats only as good as the fisherman standing in it"

my thoughts exactly.

out of the few boats we owned, the gear inside was worth more than anything. as long as it floats and gets you into the right spots (and is safe to operate) - thats all that matters.

Ive caught an ish load of fish out of my 12' tin can. I throw it in the back of my pick up with my battery and trolling motor and trespass my a$$ off! I love it!

Haha I love it! Just got a 12' tin can myself

I do most of my fishing out of an 8' pontoon - it works on small and mid-sized lakes, gets me on lots of fish, and, given a chance, I would likely get a larger boat but still keep the 'toon for small lake and pond work. As with anything, there are definite drawbacks and definite benefits. First the drawbacks.

1. You sit pretty close to the water, so it is really hard to look down and past your bait to see what might be tailing it, or to spot submerged cover from anything much more distant than knife-fighting range.

2. Speed. My top speed, when properly motivated by the sight of busting wipers, lightning on the near treeline, or a gastric disagreement with the burrito I had for dinner, is around 3.5 - 4 mph, with oars. With fins it's perhaps half of that. Definitely something to consider if you plan on covering a lot of water. Of course, I get to troll, a lot!

3. Gear capacity. When rollin' "swimbait heavy", the 'toon can handle three 8' swimbait rods (horizontal storage) and 2 - 3 other rods (typically a frog rods), but unless I have the rear deck installed, the only storage is the side pockets. Each of those will hold a single Plano 3600-size deep (~3" deep) storage box, and each of those boxes will hold a goodly amount of baits, but it'd be nice to have a bit more storage, at times.

4. Loneliness. I know...put my big-girl panties back on. Sometimes it's nice to have company, especially if you want people to take good pictures of your fish! :D That doesn't happen with the 'toon, unless you manage to call a friend over to be the photographer. I don't know about your friends, but when mine hear the chortling that goes along with the capture of a solid bass, they're as likely to respond to my requests with various unprintable words as a salvo of "bad casts" that sees Slammers and Hudds and other heavy, hook-laden lures landing awfully close to my air-filled bladders!

Okay, there are probably other disadvantages, but hey, I fish what I can get, and like someone said, a highly portable boat lets you get into areas that others can't (or shouldn't). Some other advantages include:

1. The 'toon is mighty quiet - no big motor, no trolling motor, and many is the time I've managed to sneak up on unsuspecting critters by gently sculling the fins. Sure, the fish probably could tell I was coming from 100 yds off with their lateral lines, but they didn't run away, so I get a shot at them.

2. Highly maneuverable. With fins dangling below, I can reposition in mid-retrieve, if necessary, or give way to a foot flail fest when a hooked fish decides to start playing silly buggers around the boat. With the relatively low profile, I also do a fair bit of ducking under mooring lines and wires and other obstructions that might impede a larger boat.

3. Highly portable. Even with the pontoons 3/4 inflated, the whole set-up fits in the back of my truck and weighs around 70 lbs with sonar, lures, rods, and miscellaneous gear. That means that I can yank it out of the truck, top off the 'toons, load the rods, and run the whole shooting match into the water within 5 minutes of pulling up to a lake or pond. I've even made a transport wheel that attaches to the frame so that I can wheel the whole thing back into ponds and lakes that have no road access. Sure, it looks like I'm being molested by two big blue slugs, but I can live with that.

4. Low cost. I think the 'toon cost $400 when I bought it about 9 years ago. I've upgraded the sonar twice (I have a small sonar/GPS unit on it now), but other than that, it's not cost me much more money. No boat registration fees, and no ANS inspections required either (except on a couple of lakes).

5. Good looks. Okay, I jest, but when you happen to roll by someone in a 20-foot bass rocket and they're pulling up 12" with a dropshot rod and you then stick a 5-lb fish throwing a lure that's only 2" shorter than their "keeper", you feel pretty good. That is, you feel good until they bury the throttle and rocket off to some other spot where the fish are busting at warp 9, leaving me to waddle along at a speed often exceeded by fast-swimming geese (I know, I've tried to catch them).