Best Gill baits?

Jerkbait22

I have two of the G2 shellcrackers, looking to add to the arsenal. Always heard stay away from gill baits because of the hookup ratio. I keep eyeing the bullshooter 160 but am concerned about getting hits but no hookup. Definitely going to try one of the tiny bull shooters.

I hear good things about the Matt lures hardgill. I’m fishing in the northeast so biggest bass near me are 5-6lbs or so. 

Am I off base on the bull shooter 160? What other baits should I be looking into?

I’ve honestly never had issues with big gill baits and missing bass because of the profile. I’ve had fish in the 3-4lb range absolutely wreck big gill baits the size of a Bullshooter 190 or larger. The bigger bass in the 6lb + range often eat them head first. I’ve had smaller bass hooked up on one or both trebles with a bait sideways. Usually hooked in the upper lip. A few times the hook was inside their mouth and had the upper and lower lip pinned shut. I generally do better with big profile gill baits from Early Spring through the summer. But I do tend to throw more Shad baits during and after the Shad spawn each year. 

There is no best one imo. So many good options but if u wanna branch out and experiment without spending too much, savage gear gills, yunique gills, bullshad, hardgills are easy to find and all proven baits. 

Don’t bass don’t tell makes a sweet glide if you can find them. He closed is pre order last Friday unfortunately. Great glide, haven’t tried his swimmer but only could imagine good things about it 

I’m in the northeast as well. I do really well with the wadehoggs. Just got a mag hardgill a whole back the thing is amazing in the water. I know it’s not a gill but the bull wake does well for me also.  and normally it’s my fault if the fish doesn’t get in the boat I never really think it’s the profile 

Edited by Spencer_518