Thoughts on scalping.

BittyRanger

If you didn’t know there’s an ignore option on your account settings. Please ignore me of what I said tonight was out of hand or annoying to you. 

I would like to ostracize my self from the scalped and scalpers on this site

Honestly how I feel about the situation is if the asking price isn't what your looking for then just pass. There are a ton of dudes on here that will help you out and give fair prices on things your looking for. It's alot easier to attain items from those members and get it reasonably fast instead of waiting for it from other places. Certain items become hot items and the prices sky rocket. It's your choice whether it's worth it to you or not. I absolutely love this forum and the ppl on here! At the end of the day it's about fishing and chasing that giant bite. You'll either warm up to this forum or find another one but at the end of the day you won't find a better one with as many great ppl......rant over!!

Listen Karen, you asked for someone’s thoughts on it and they gave it to you. If you are not “Satisfied” with that also, then it’s speaks volumes of your mind set. Remember you are talking with “Fisherman”, we just want to fish and Geek out on Lures, Reels and Baits. 

2 hours ago, SVT THUNDER said:

Been slinging swimbaits for over two decades and this is the first time I’ve ever heard anyone refer to flipping baits as scalping....

Same on the use of the term… I was thinking who in their right mind would approve of scalping? :lol:

Flipping baits on the other hand has been a topic covered over and over again. In the end it all comes down to supply and demand. Flippers are opportunistic feeders just like bass, so if people are willing to pay a truck load of money for a certain bait the flippers will naturally seek those baits out and try to resell for as much as possible. Consumers see that crazy high price and mentally set the value of the bait higher than it was before. Pretty soon you won’t be able to buy a second hand bait anywhere near retail value anymore because no seller wants to lose out on that spiked demand value.

Is flipping wrong? No. Can flipping be frustrating for builders and anglers who actually want to fish the baits? Yes. If you really want a “hype” bait at retail however, you would hit every drop until you secure a spot. If you really, REALLY, want a “hype” bait, you wouldn’t hesitate to save up and pay flipper prices. At the end of the day, it all depends on why we are really trying to buy a particular bait. If you just want to catch fish, why complain about flipping when there are plenty of other good baits to go around? If you want to catch fish on a cool bait, that’s ok too and describes a lot of us I think… but doesn’t rarity and value of a bait contribute to the “cool” factor? Start saving if you really want it. Complaining won’t get you anywhere.

What is your solution to the problem of flipping baits? Should SU regulate the price of baits being sold here? Should eBay set a limit on what you can bid based on MSRP? Should the feds make sure Mickey doesn't increase the cost of workhorses on the next preorder?

Seems like the reasonable thing is to let the market regulate itself, as it does here. What people want to pay is their own business. And people who ask $600 for a hinkle shad will be dragged until the price drops a couple bills. The system works.

Don't go to a baseball game, you'll have a stroke seeing what a Coors light costs there.

29 minutes ago, BittyRanger said:

Haven’t seen a single real opinion here yet. The overwhelming amount of people who say don’t like it is a little weird. can’t lie.  it’s like everyone just regurgitates that one black market rule but if you read a little longer you can see and it also says to take it to another forum if I choose to and I did.sad to see an underwhelming amount of thought put into these answers. It was disappointing. 

Maybe because it’s an overdramatized topic that gets posted every couple months by teenaged kids with short pockets and unsatisfied desires.  Not every post requires a dissertation on economics, or a discourse on the moral dillemas of the bait flipping market. Don’t let the simplicity of of the responses distract you from the message, they’re valid replies and have been generously applied to many a angsty swimbaiter before you.  

Edited by tHeINFamoUS

5 minutes ago, tHeINFamoUS said:

Maybe because it’s an overdramatized topic that gets posted every couple months by teenaged kids with short pockets and unsatisfied desires.  Not every post requires a dissertation on economics, or a discourse on the moral dillemas of the bait flipping market. Don’t let the simplicity of of the responses distract you from the message, they’re valid replies and have been generously applied to many a angsty swimbaiter before you.  

Lmfaoooo did you copy and paste this from some one else. Baa baaa. Keep assuming about my age and my financial situation. Don’t have to poor to realize a 50% up charge is ridiculous. 

15 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

Same on the use of the term… I was thinking who in their right mind would approve of scalping? :lol:

Flipping baits on the other hand has been a topic covered over and over again. In the end it all comes down to supply and demand. Flippers are opportunistic feeders just like bass, so if people are willing to pay a truck load of money for a certain bait the flippers will naturally seek those baits out and try to resell for as much as possible. Consumers see that crazy high price and mentally set the value of the bait higher than it was before. Pretty soon you won’t be able to buy a second hand bait anywhere near retail value anymore because no seller wants to lose out on that spiked demand value.

Is flipping wrong? No. Can flipping be frustrating for builders and anglers who actually want to fish the baits? Yes. If you really want a “hype” bait at retail however, you would hit every drop until you secure a spot. If you really, REALLY, want a “hype” bait, you wouldn’t hesitate to save up and pay flipper prices. At the end of the day, it all depends on why we are really trying to buy a particular bait. If you just want to catch fish, why complain about flipping when there are plenty of other good baits to go around? If you want to catch fish on a cool bait, that’s ok too and describes a lot of us I think… but doesn’t rarity and value of a bait contribute to the “cool” factor? Start saving if you really want it. Complaining won’t get you anywhere.

Scalping is what it is bro literally the same exact thing. Just bc it’s fishing lures you turn a blind eye to it. 

25 minutes ago, Streamer said:

If we really want a bait that’s hard to get, we’re gonna pay what the seller is asking. No point in coming on here to complain if you don’t want backlash from it or peoples opinions

Bot response.  literally read the other bots saying the same thing lol good input tho bro consume consume consume 

28 minutes ago, 89Fisher said:

Honestly how I feel about the situation is if the asking price isn't what your looking for then just pass. There are a ton of dudes on here that will help you out and give fair prices on things your looking for. It's alot easier to attain items from those members and get it reasonably fast instead of waiting for it from other places. Certain items become hot items and the prices sky rocket. It's your choice whether it's worth it to you or not. I absolutely love this forum and the ppl on here! At the end of the day it's about fishing and chasing that giant bite. You'll either warm up to this forum or find another one but at the end of the day you won't find a better one with as many great ppl......rant over!!

Thank you for this response I was beginner to lose hope 

7 minutes ago, BittyRanger said:

Scalping is what it is bro literally the same exact thing. Just bc it’s fishing lures you turn a blind eye to it. 

Naw I just have never heard the term used that way before for anything…baits, shoes, houses, whatever. You asked for an opinion and I gave it, but it sounds like your mind was made up already.

Tight lines.