Hey guys, This year I'm going to be targeting smallmouth on big baits. I'm not that acquainted on what to throw for big smallies however, I've started to buy some tournament series Mattlures in perch and catfish to start off with. Any other suggestions on some other baits (soft and hard) that I should put in my arsenal for the spring and summer?

Thanks, Ryan

Megabass dark sleeper is a great bottom creeper or big jig. Glides seem to smash smallies up here north of the border - s wavers, jointed claws. I've found that the size and the colour is more important than the specific lure for smallies, at least where I'm at. Smaller seems to be better in my experience - 178 and below.

316 freestyle shad, 316 rising son, any triple trout from 5" to 10", hinkle shad, deps 175, drt tiny klash. the last year ive almost exclusively targeted smallmouth and walleye, trying to become a guide, need help with sallies I can try and help 

Monster jacks were once in a top 5 of any discussion involving SBS and sm. You can pick em up cheap on eBay....my fav is a buzzjet and am interested in hearing about am catches on the giant one they now make.

Edited by bigpoppabass

Anyone throw Triple Trouts for big Smallies? Seems a faster moving reaction type swimbait would be up their alley.

Absolutely. I don't throw a ton of bigger swimbaits in the ozark rivers here, but the triple trout will get it done.

I've had a lot of luck with a six inch bullshad and 30acre dirty shad.  burn pause burn pause is what has worked most often for me.  i've also caught quite a few on negotiators but that has been more hit or miss, did not produce as consistently as the others.  i would imagine the burn and pause would work with a tripple trout as well.