Do any of y'all fish swimbaits in stained lakes?

Mason

I'm fishing 3 lakes that have less than a foot of visibility. They get a lot of pressure but none from swimbaits and I think I'm starting to understand why. I can't get bit on the big baits. The main one I fish is chock full of standing timber and about 80 acres. I've caught fish up to 7 pounds on crankbaits and jigs but I haven't even seen a follower on swimbaits after throwing them for months. Do y'all even bother throwing swimbaits on lakes like this or just find a clear lake? I've caught plenty of swimbait fish in clear lakes so I have some idea what I'm doing but those lakes are a lot farther from home.

I personally don't prefer to fish muddy water, but I recognize that you will still get bit. Try to keep in mind that bass eat things all the time that aren't rattling or banging off of objects. In the lo-vis water I fish, I've done well just slow crawling big soft baits. You might also try a hardgill, as the thump should help call attention to it.

The common train of thought here is to throw baits that call fish. Noisy swimbaits, top water and water commotion are all fundamental ideas. Triple trouts are a good option because they combine all of the fish calling tactics. In the winter, it may be tougher, from my experience, in stained water. Don't stop throwing soft baits like the hudd, but other options are rising sons, or the likes. Boot tail baits have a different kind of water turbulence that can sometimes trigger a fish to bite.

You didn't mention the baits you've been using. Tell us what you've tried, and maybe even how you've fished them. Maybe some other guys can give you some tips to some of the baits that they have had success with.

I've tried to keep bait selection simple. Hardgill, wake jr, Hph, mission fish, rising sons, weedless 8" hudds, Hudd 68s. I've caught fish on these baits in small muddy ponds and clear lakes. Just trying to figure out the transition.

After moving to central Oklahoma where every body of water has low visibility I had a lot of luck this summer with the hardgill, original wood shell cracker, and 7 or 8 inch line thru osprey, also a slower retrieve even during the heat of the summer

Very stained and wood? Big Rat would be my choice, Nezumma Xl. Wake jr should get bit too. Rising Son and the Hardgill for sub surface. Maybe your just having a hard time locating them? If they can find a crank bait or a jig, the swimmers should attract more bites. Location and timing are paramount. What are the water temps?

Very stained and wood? Big Rat would be my choice, Nezumma Xl. Wake jr should get bit too. Rising Son and the Hardgill for sub surface. Maybe your just having a hard time locating them? If they can find a crank bait or a jig, the swimmers should attract more bites. Location and timing are paramount. What are the water temps?

This! just throw a huge rat in clear or muddy water... and hold on!

Remember to target areas fish hide. Laydowns, or any cover in general is a great place to start. Any kind of bluff wall, especially if baitfish are present is also an option. Some guys have taken a rattle and inserted it in their Hudd tails to give it more of a noisy presence. Maybe thats an off the wall tactic to get you more bites. For sure remember the key is that you gotta put the lure where the fish are. Good luck dude!