Biggest Fish in Smallest places

FLsharkman

Sure I'll go: I'm in northern IL and have always shore-fished forest preserve lakes. My old man has always told me there's fish in these little side-of-the-road ponds, I'm like eh, I guess...

So fall of 2020 I just moved to a subdivision with a one-acre pond. I see my 65-year old neighbor riding his bike with a fishing rod on the back, he tells me Oh, there's bass in that pond, nice ones! I'm all "Sure, cool story Bob!" Fast forward to spring of 2021, just got a Gantarel knockoff and painted it up, wanted to test swim it. Walk over to the pond, and third freaking cast it gets smoked by this tank. I was in absolute SHOCK that there was a fish this size in this tiny neighborhood pond. Not a giant to most of you guys, but to a northern IL boy that's a monster pond fish. 

Screenshot_20210528-173127.png

20210528_165438.jpg

Edited by 168 Rookie

23 minutes ago, 168 Rookie said:

Sure I'll go: I'm in northern IL and have always shore-fished forest preserve lakes. My old man has always told me there's fish in these little side-of-the-road ponds, I'm like eh, I guess...

So fall of 2020 I just moved to a subdivision with a one-acre pond. I see my 65-year old neighbor riding his bike with a fishing rod on the back, he tells me Oh, there's bass in that pond, nice ones! I'm all "Sure, cool story Bob!" Fast forward to spring of 2021, just got a Gantarel knockoff and painted it up, wanted to test swim it. Walk over to the pond, and third freaking cast it gets smoked by this tank. I was in absolute SHOCK that there was a fish this size in this tiny neighborhood pond. Not a giant to most of you guys, but to a northern IL boy that's a monster pond fish. 

20210528_165438.jpg

Beautifully proportioned bass 

My PB, 7.8 Ma slammer fish was caught in a 11 acre pond that’s 30 feet deep! Caught many 5s and 6s. I know my 8 plus that I’m hunting with a chance for a giant giant 10 will be from a 20 acre pond. Up here in Massachusetts some of the smallest places hold giants!  So many spots to fish! 

Almost all of my big fish come from small lakes most people would call them ponds probably but we have alot of small lakes in Washington and in my experience the smaller bodies of water hold bigger fish for whatever reason and there all stocked with trout and theres not many guys fishing swimbaits 

My friend and I fish a 2 acre pond often, it’s deepest spot is about 5 feet. And it’s cristal clear. I’ve caught many 5s, 6s, and one that went 7.5 out of it. You can practically cast from one end to the other. But it’s got giants in it!

My PB this year came our of a lake that occasionally gives up big fish bit it was where and when that shocked me. I got it on a rat in like 2 feet of water out of some extremely thick weeds in the middle of the summer. I kinda always thought the bigger ones stayed deep once the shallows heated up but I guess not always the case if they can effectively ambush in the shallow cover.

After hurricane Mathew passed through while I was still down in Florida I had a week off from classes and took the time to explore some of the water around campus. I found a little concrete box adjoining a skinny canal that I believe served to slow the rate at which flood water entered a culvert leading to a little drainage ditch. It looked pretty good with the flood water rushing through it, all turbid with a bunch of random detritus floating on top so I chucked the glide in there from the sidewalk and got two twitches in before this sucker exploded on it. Didn't get a weight on it but I'd ball park it around high five to low six pound. A lot of the canals were like that, nasty skinny water full of garbage with random big bass holed up in the gnarliest of cover. Tilapia were even crazier, sometimes just showing up in isolated patches of floodwater alongside the road. I'm pretty sure if you pissed a puddle on mars, tilapia would show up.

1.jpg

We have lots of small ponds scattered here in AL, some just old cattle ponds loaded with fish. Funny thinking about how they got in there. I have caught lots of fish up to 8lbs out of a pond less than an acre and maybe 8/10ft deep. 

I’ve got a small pond in my neighborhood I bank fish often. Biggest has been almost 4 bu I know there are 5 and 6 pounders in it and maybe a good 6+. It’s very shallow and featureless no pads nothing. So weird. This winter my buddy and I are gonna go out on the ice and drill around to find the deep pockets and learn a little more about it 

C7A131C6-4D70-4D91-9786-5A17726B7A7A.jpeg

53A84CB9-FE7C-4867-A918-4B6F6DFE011D.jpeg

815FCA95-855D-42A9-8E31-7BF8754FBDF5.jpeg

My best producing body of water in Northern NJ from 21’ was maybe 8acres. The place gave me thirteen bass over 4lbs (yes different fish i made sure) and two over 5lbs. Unfortunately 90% of them were spawned out. I’m confident in finding a 6lber there earlier in the season. It’s also public and Ik many people fish it. The fish have just never seen swimbaits, or big wakebaits at night. Knocked em dead all year C2A9CD72-D918-4310-AA2A-4FF63AAB3755.thumb.jpeg.da4ecb67e7bb46de8818426715a94f07.jpeg5367D211-F540-4672-9277-888C3462B399.thumb.jpeg.30137ce19ca1f3e550b3061ef2860b0b.jpeg

On 1/16/2022 at 4:37 PM, 168 Rookie said:

20210528_165438.jpg

are you located in  northern lake county  or southern mc henry county because that pond lake/pond looks familiar and looks like the ponds near volo/lakemoor and a few near round lake, although i have never fished them they do look pretty good 

4 hours ago, jp_midwest said:

are you located in  northern lake county  or southern mc henry county because that pond lake/pond looks familiar and looks like the ponds near volo/lakemoor and a few near round lake, although i have never fished them they do look pretty good 

I'm in McHenry Co, and man I've since discovered that there are fish all over in these little ponds around here. You in Cook?